manuals

Old 12-12-03, 11:19 PM
manuals

OK. This is one question I been wanting to ask, especially to the ones who own a repair shop. How many manuals do you own? What manuals do you find that are neccessary to have? I thought about getting some briggs manuals since that is the brand that I usually see that happens to need repair. Also, some tecumseh manuels would be nice. I did look at the briggs manuals on the internet and there were about 6 different manuels that would come in handy for the different models. How much would it cost to get a good supply of manuals? What manuals do you think are neccessary? Where do you buy them from? I know that working on many different model engines with only one briggs manual and one tecumseh manual leaves you with quite a bit of unanswered questions. Also, it would be nice to understand the finer points of every carb design and the all the other little this and thats that can only be learned from a manual. Thanks for the help!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-03, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Mower17!

Honestly, I don't really know how many manuals I have. Some are tucked away...maybe never to be found again, lol. I think the best manuals I have gotten lately were PDF files on CD. You just pop it in the computer and select the manual you want to view. These are available all over Ebay. I got one for briggs that covers all parts on almost all model briggs engines, I got a tecumseh manual on disk that covers all tecumseh's current manuals, and it seems like I got one for Kohler too...can't remember. The manual I use most often in the shop is just a Chilton's small engine repair manual that covers many manufacturers. I use it because I can keep that one book handy and have most of the specs I need for most engines without looking through a stack of manuals. I mainly just use it for specs, like rod bolt torque, clearances, and sometimes measurements.

Old 12-13-03, 04:42 PM
If you might be interested, there is a web site that has a lot of Kohler manuals online. http://www.kohlerengines.com/service_manuals.html . I personally don't think that you can get too many. Most all manufactors have something that is a little bit different...plus their specs. http://www3.sears.com/ is also a helpful web site in that they have exploded views, complete parts lists and price lists. These are sometimes helpful because they cover the entire riding lawnmower (e.g.).