Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro won't move snow. Motor dies

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 12:54 PM   #1  
kianje
Toro won't move snow. Motor dies

I have a toro s200 and when I start it, it seems to run sluggish. I may start it 4 or 5 times before it will finally run and stay running. It may run for 30 seconds and then it is just like I have swithched it off and it goes dead. When I finally get it to stay running and nose into some snow, it seems the slightest amount of strain kills it immediately. I have also noticed that after I do this and let it sit for a day, I have to change the sparkplug (have a few lying around) to get it to fire. The one I take out seems to have too much oil residue on it. It has two screws to adjust the carb but I have no idea which one to turn to make it run better. I have turned them both a full round both ways and did not hear any difference in the way the motor ran. Is my carb dirty or what? And if so, how do i clean it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-14-03, 02:04 PM   #2  
Are you putting in the recommended mixture of oil? Too much would cause this. Also, tryscrewing in the high spees screw (the screw farthest from the engine) on the carburetor. If it's running to rich, it would cause it to run bad and foul the plug often.

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 02:09 PM   #3  
kianje
Thanks for the reply, I have the right mixture on the gas. I'll try that on the screw. Would this cause it to go dead under the first hint of snow?

12-14-03, 02:34 PM   #4  
It would cause it to bog down like you said because there would be too much fuel/oil in the cylinder. Just tighten the screw in until it runs smooth and takes the load well.

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 04:40 PM   #5  
Rlfrazee
Kianje, was browsing the forum and saw your post. I have a toro S-200 also, it had exact same problem. Advice given by Mower 17 is exactly what it took to get mine to except load and throw snow....RL

Visiting Guest

12-14-03, 04:47 PM   #6  
kianje
Thanks guys, i am going to try this tomorrow.

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 08:32 AM   #7  
kianje
Problem... now I cannot get the thing started to do the adjustment. I cleaned my sparkplugs with fine sandpaper to get the tar off and even tried putting a little gas down the sparkplug hole but it will not fire. I had no trouble yesterday getting it to start as long as I was putting in another sparkplug after it set for awhile. I did move those adjustment screws a little bit yesterday but not enough that I think it would cause it not to start. but then again, what do I know?

12-15-03, 11:48 AM   #8  
Two strokes can be very picky and almost determined to not start right when you expact them to start. Tighten both the strews until they LIGHTLY bottom out, then back them out 1 full turn. That should get you into the general area that they need to start, then fine tune them once it is running. To fine tune the idle speed screw (the one slodest to the engine) run the engine at idle and keep turning the screw until it runs the smoothest. Then for the high speed screw (the screw farthest from the engine), run the engine at full throttle and turn this screw until the engine sounds like it is about to fly appart (in other words, when it runns at it's fastest speed) then back that same screw out until the engine just starts to sputter. The engine should run good with the carburetor set like this. If it still runs rich (fouls the plug often) then you might have to turn the high speed screw in a little. Good luck!!!!!

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 12:04 PM   #9  
kianje
Thanks for the reply Mower. This blower has no throttle so it runs at whatever speed it runs at with no manual adjustment for changing the speed when I want to.
Will the adjustments you have specified still work in this case?

12-15-03, 12:23 PM   #10  
Usually, on engines that run at one set speed, the governor will be attched to a throttle. If you look at the linkages, you might see this set up and be able to opperate it by hand to set your adjustments. However, I am not familiar with that engine since I live in southern Louisiana and never saw snow, much less a snow blower before. Hopefully there is someone else here that knows that engine and how it is opperated cause I have no clue. Sorry.

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 12:31 PM   #11  
kianje
Thanks for the reply. My craftsman lawnmower is the same way. Runs at one speed.

Search this Thread