Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

snowblower no cold start

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 08:06 AM   #1  
GregL
snowblower no cold start

Hello, my White snowblower with 9HP Tecumsah engine starts first pull and runs fine when it is "warm" outside e.g. 45F, or after being in my basement overnight, but doesn't even sputter and try to start when it is stored cold (outdoors). This isn't very convenient, since it never seems to snow here in warm weather.

Once running, it will start again, first pull, regardless of temperature.

This is true with both the hand and electric starter.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Last edited by GregL; 12-15-03 at 08:26 AM.

Sponsored Links

12-15-03, 11:52 AM   #2  
Is the choke working propperly? When looking down the carburetor intake, does the little butterfly valve move when you pull the ckoke back and forth?

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 12:38 PM   #3  
GregL
I don't know if the choke is failing when outside-cold. It does work when the snowblower is warm enough to start- I need to "unchoke" almost immediately to even it out.

I'll be away from my computer for the next week, but I still appreciate any help that is posted.

Thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-15-03, 10:01 PM   #4  
Hello Greg!

I agree with Mower17. Check the choke...look at it visually, inside the carb throat. Make sure it is closing fully. Also make sure the throttle is set to full speed when trying to start it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-22-03, 06:59 AM   #5  
GregL
I still don't know about the choke, but I changed the spark plug, which was completely fouled black, and it started right up for me!

Ran a little rough though - like I can't release the coke enough.

Happy holidays!

Greg

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-23-03, 12:26 AM   #6  
If your plug is getting sooted by gas, take a look at the air filter to be sure it isn't clogged, make sure the choke is opening fully, and if no problems are found there, carb adjustments may need to be made.

God bless!

CANADA

12-27-03, 09:07 AM   #7  
gregl
The spark plug will tell sooooo much about how your engine is running. The black coating on the plug is usually an indication of a "too rich" mixture. or a very weak spark which won't burn the fuel completely. Plus you said that when you replaced it, it started up but it seemed you couldn't release the choke enough.
I would check out the High Speed adjusting screw(located on the bottom of the float bowl) and lean it out (turn cw) just a bit. This is done after the motor has been running for a few minutes and is up to operating temp and is at full throttle.If this doesn't produce the required results you may want to check out a rebuilding of the carb. The reason I'm going with the carb rebuild instead of looking at the ignition is because the gas nowadays just doesn't stay fresh long enough and that is the majority of the headache causes.
On a snowblower there is no air filter just a cover (not much dust in the winter) and that's for keeping some of the heat in so the carb won't freeze up.
One other thing and I recommend this "highly" is purchase a Tecumseh repair manual for your motor from your local small motor dealer. These are the most invaluable tools that you will ever have.

Hope this helps

snoman

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-28-03, 01:03 AM   #8  
Ahh yes, I did know that there are not air filters on snowblowers, but I keep forgetting we're talking about snowblowers here. Snoman is right, if you do not find any problems with the choke staying closed, you may just need to adjust the high speed mixture screw.

God bless!

Search this Thread