Snowblower Forward Speeds

Old 12-15-03, 10:18 AM
DC1965
Visiting Guest
Snowblower Forward Speeds

I am new to snowblower ownership and I have an older Craftsman 8 hp / 6 speed snowblower and seem to be having a problem with forward speeds. Sometimes it starts to move forward, but then just stops. It doesnt take much to stop it. As for reverse speeds, they work fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DC

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-03, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello DC!

What model# is it? Are fwd and rev driven by separate belts? If so, I would look at belt tension.

Old 12-22-03, 11:34 PM
Gill Is The Man
Visiting Guest
you might want to flip your blower forward and remove the belly pan. if it uses a rotating disc and a rubber coated wheel to move, check both the tension and the condition of the rubber on the wheel. If you;ve had an oil leak in the past, this is notorious for causing traction problems because it lubes up these parts. Good luck.

Old 12-27-03, 09:41 AM
dc1965
Just as Gill said check the condition of the rubber coated drive wheel. Oil is not good for it or it could be worn too much. One other thing to look at is the shaft from that drive wheel assembly going up to the control handle (transmission drive) should have an adjustment bolt to enable you to put more pressure on the drive wheel to the drive disc surface. You just have to loosen off the lock nut and turn it out or in to get your desired results.

snoman