Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tecumseh fly wheel 10 hp engine

Visiting Guest

12-15-03, 04:23 PM   #1  
dcapp
tecumseh fly wheel 10 hp engine

While removing my fly wheel (from 10hp engine), I broke one of the fins. Can I reuse this fly wheel since the rest of the fly wheel is fine? What are fins for?

Sponsored Links

12-15-03, 04:49 PM   #2  
Yes, the flywheel is definiately still good. The fins act like a fan to blow air through the fins under the shroud to cool the engine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-15-03, 09:41 PM   #3  
Hello dcapp!

If the fins are plastic, then I agree with Mower17, it can be used again. If this engine has cast iron fins on the flywheel, I wouldn't use it because it throws the flywheel out of balance significantly, enough that it may wear out the engine block crankshaft bearing quickly.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-30-03, 08:17 AM   #4  
I think Cheese hit the nail on the head.

AL

12-30-03, 06:00 PM   #5  
If the flywheel is cast iron and vibrates badly, you might try breaking off a fin on the opposite side. Just remimber that you will be compromising your cooling a little bit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-30-03, 11:24 PM   #6  
Personally, I wouldn't want to use a broken flywheel if for no other reason than this: What if the break caused enough imbalance, stress, or whatever, that the flywheel broke apart. Imagine a heavy cast iron wheel turning 32000 rpm flying apart in pieces. Schrapnel. I don't know that it would ever happen, but the thought of it is enough to make me leery.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread