tecumseh fly wheel 10 hp engine

Old 12-15-03, 04:23 PM
dcapp
Visiting Guest
tecumseh fly wheel 10 hp engine

While removing my fly wheel (from 10hp engine), I broke one of the fins. Can I reuse this fly wheel since the rest of the fly wheel is fine? What are fins for?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-03, 04:49 PM
Yes, the flywheel is definiately still good. The fins act like a fan to blow air through the fins under the shroud to cool the engine.

Old 12-15-03, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello dcapp!

If the fins are plastic, then I agree with Mower17, it can be used again. If this engine has cast iron fins on the flywheel, I wouldn't use it because it throws the flywheel out of balance significantly, enough that it may wear out the engine block crankshaft bearing quickly.

Old 12-30-03, 08:17 AM
I think Cheese hit the nail on the head.

Old 12-30-03, 06:00 PM
If the flywheel is cast iron and vibrates badly, you might try breaking off a fin on the opposite side. Just remimber that you will be compromising your cooling a little bit.

Old 12-30-03, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally, I wouldn't want to use a broken flywheel if for no other reason than this: What if the break caused enough imbalance, stress, or whatever, that the flywheel broke apart. Imagine a heavy cast iron wheel turning 32000 rpm flying apart in pieces. Schrapnel. I don't know that it would ever happen, but the thought of it is enough to make me leery.