Breaks on my rider

Old 12-15-03, 06:31 PM
Breaks on my rider

Cheese in another posting you mentioned something about breaks. I need an answer about breaks on my rider. Now you want to know which rider? LOL. Its the Murray 8HP rear engine 30inch rider. The one you and I were working on with the ignition problem. This other problem is actually something that did not just happened. The breaks have not been working in a long time. According to what I think I know there is breaks on this mower. Remember these mowers have only one pedal and that is your clutch pedal. But that pedal is supposed to operate the breaks to I believe. If this is so why does the mower not stop right suddenly when you push in the clutch. It only stops on its own accord, you know what I mean, just slows down cause it no longer gets power to move. If its a thing that I need to adjust them than please teach me where the breaks are on this thing and how you adjust them properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-03, 08:04 PM
The brakes are usually on the right side of the transaxle. Most have a disc brake. Get a flashlight and look underneath while some else mashes the clutch/brake. Make sure your linkage is in working order. Make certain that it pulls the small flat bar (thats wavey on one end). If it does then there may be one of several things happening:
(1) you may just have to adjust the center nut (clockwise should tighten them up)
(2) you may have to replace your brake pads
(3) the pins which activate the brake pads may be frozen (corrorded)
(4) you just might have transaxle problems.

If you have trouble with one of these, just repost it and I'm sure someone can help you.

Old 12-15-03, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jack is correct, but...your mower doesn't have a transaxle. It has a transmission under the seat. There is a flat rectangular piece of metal on the side of it that moves when you press the clutch pedal. The nut that holds it onto the transmission needs to be tightened some. That is the adjustment for the brakes. If you can't adjust it far enough to get brakes, then the pads probably need replacing.

Old 12-16-03, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys for the quick response! Tomarow I will work on this when I get home from work and see if I can find that rectangular flat piece of metal that moves up and down by the transmition. If I do find it and do see a nut I will tighten it.

Old 12-16-03, 09:10 PM
Terminator20:

If this Murray is like a Sears 30" rear engine, the brake adjustment is located all the way to the rear of the transaxle on the left rear. There should be a threaded rod with a trunnion that fits in a flat metal arm. You will need to remove the retainer pin and turn the trunnion clockwise on the treaded rod.

Roger

Old 12-16-03, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I forget which model you have for sure, but if I remember right, it was an '86 like one I had at the shop, right? (I do remember getting the model# off my mower so you could use it for getting parts), so I think you have the tecumseh transmission under the seat, but could be wrong. You'll be able to tell easily enough though.

Old 12-20-03, 09:02 AM
Well, I found the metal thing that attaches itself to the transmission on the side. It actually is not a nut holding it on. When I looked down there I saw that the nut was really shaped more like a little gear. You know lots of slots around the nut. Well I tried tightning that and it will not tighten anymore than I have tightened it. You mentioned breake pads could be just worn. What breake pads? I am looking at all four wheels and I don't see anything which looks like a breake pad that would grab against the wheels. So what are you guys talking about? Cheese mabie you should give me more descriptive information.

Thanks rogerh. I will take a look at that. I know that I may have to do a little more looking and from all the people who have answered helps me to find things better.

Old 12-20-03, 10:02 AM
Terminator20,

If you found the brake mechanism on the side, your mower is older then I thought. Disregard my previous post.
If you have a shoulder bolt with a star head there should be a cast piece behind it that the shoulder bolt goes through. There should be a very small hole with a setscrew in this cast piece. This setscrew adjustment hole should be located above the shoulder bolt. You will need a very small allen wrench to turn the setscrew to adjust the brake.

Good Luck.

Roger

Old 12-20-03, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the transmission under the seat area with a chain drive, or is it under the mower? The style mentioned by roger is a common one used on old ones...like early '80s. He's right, it takes an allen wrench to adjust it. In either case, the brake pads are located right behind the lever that actuates the brake. You'll see a small brake disc behind that lever, and a bracket between the lever and the disk. The pad is housed in that bracket, and you remove the disk and the other brake pad is housed in the tranny case behind the disk.

Old 12-21-03, 12:15 AM
Hay Cheese can you do something for me? My Murray is the one with the transmision under the seat. Remember you gave me the modle of yours to help me out. I lost that information dew to computer upgrade. Can you please give me that again.

And yes it is a chain drive

Thankyou...

Old 12-21-03, 09:43 PM
Greate news guys thankyou Cheese and thankyou Rogerh for all of your support. You were right Rogerh! There was a small whole above the star shoulder bolt that required a very small allan wrench. I tightened it and I now have brakes! Now I won't get myself killed going down a hill.

Old 12-22-03, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it. I'll try to remember to get that model# for you again in the next day or two.

Old 12-22-03, 08:14 AM
Actually cheese I just need a manual in PDF form off of your model that is just like mine. Now when I adjusted my brakes on the rider so It will actually brake when pushed in the clutch, but it also makes it harder to pull the ryder manualy in nutral. Is this normal. I did not tightened it so much that I can't pull it manualy. Its just I have to pull it harder than before to make it move. I was just wondering if that is normal. I was starting to think if the brake was partially engaged and thats why it does that because I tightened that, that mabie it might cause the breakpads to wear out. Do you have insight on this Cheese? Or Rogerh?

Old 12-22-03, 09:59 AM
Terminator20,

Your right. If the mower in harder to push now, the brake is likely draging. You should back the setscrew out just a little.

Roger

Old 12-23-03, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed.

Old 12-30-03, 11:37 PM
Hay Cheese, it would be great if you can find a manual free of course on the internet with the info below.

B&S 8HP Engine
Model# 190707
Type# 6003 01
Code# 88013010

Manual 270962 found on B&S website that is for L head engine, however that costs 12 to 15 dollars to buy. Unable to find free PDF format manual. Any help would gladly be appreciated! And if you are still in the forum JOE_F, please feel free to help out.