carb rebuilding

Old 12-26-03, 10:54 PM
carb rebuilding

When cleaning a carburetor, is it always neccissary to repace all gaskets and diaghrams? How can you tell if the diaghram is bad? Do you only replace them if they have a crack or hole? Also, what if you cleaned the carb and the mixture needle screws don't really make much of a noticable difference? I was just curious for future projects. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-03, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Mower!

No, it's not always necessary to replace them. The small briggs engines with the metal gas tank with the carb mounted to the tank should always get a replacement gasket and diaphragm when the carb is removed, but most others don't always require it. I usually replace diaphragms when I rebuild a carb to eliminate problems, but you usually don't have to if they don't have holes, thin spots, and if they aren't getting stiff. If you rebuild a carb and the mixture screws don't have an effect, then there is still a problem with the carb. Some carbs have small passages that are quite hard to get clean...some nearly impossible. Many times the blockage will be behind a welch plug.

Hope you had a great Christmas, and have a happy New Year!

Old 12-27-03, 08:45 AM
mower 17
From my point of view, if you've got the machine apart and you think it's carb trouble, I will always do a complete clean and kit replacement on it. Usually the kits aren't very expensive it's just the labor involved to do the job. Like Cheese said, there are some very tiny orifices in those carbs and they must be open to perform properly. In the case of a Tecumseh float style carb there is usually a very small and cleverly hidden orifice inside the main nozzle which I use a finely bent .015 piece of stainless steel to try and open it.
One other thing, if you are going to clean (soak) the carb, use an approved carb cleaner. Varsol doesn't work well, it just cleans the outside but it does very little in removing the varnishing from the gas on the inside.
I hope this is helpful to you.

snoman

Old 12-27-03, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!! You know how when you go to remove gaskets on a carburetor how they always seem to be stuck really well to the carb. I always wondered if they are glued from the factory onto the carb. Also, when replacing base gaskets and other engine gaskets, is it necessary to glue them on with copper coat or other gasket glue like is done on large engines? Thanks.

Old 12-27-03, 02:12 PM
mower17
Again this is only my opinion but when I do an engine, I don't use anything, If the surfaces that you're working with are true then the thickness of the gasket is more that adequate and you won't have any leaking. One thing to always do is torque the bolts down to the right foot lbs and do it in the correct sequence.

snoman

Old 12-28-03, 12:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They aren't glued at the factory. If you find one that's been glued, then you've found one that someone has already had apart. If you do want to use any type of glue, use indian head gasket cement. It will help hole gaskets in place while you install them, it doesn't dry fast, but you don't have to wait for it to dry before you use the engine. I like to use it on sump cover gaskets. I don't think it's necessary, but it helps hold it in place.

Search this Thread