Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 536 Blower Drive Problem

Visiting Guest

12-28-03, 07:56 AM   #1  
Jay Miller2
Craftsman 536 Blower Drive Problem

I have an old Craftsman snowblower Model 536 with a drive problem. I have opened the back and observed that the friction wheel is working, and all the drive chains are moving but I get no drive to the wheels. I do not see any shear pins in the drive other than the bolts at the ends of the axle, and they are fine.

I am an old mechanic and usually have no problems if I know what is going on. Does any one know where I could find a parts breakdown for this old beast. It just runs to darn good to scrap yet.

I have tried to find a parts breakdown or manual all over the net, but just no luck.

Thanks for any information that any one might have that would be helpfull.

Jay

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-28-03, 09:06 AM   #2  
jay
The friction/drive wheel has a rubber coating on it and if it is worn too much then it won't have the positive connection to the metal driver disk.I'm saying this because you said that you checked all the bolts in the drive system and nothing is broken. If you have a handle to engage the drive system then possibly there might be an adjusting nut/bolt that you can use to increase the pressure.
Try this link to Sears and type in your model number, it may have the manual info that you require.
http://www3.sears.com/

Hope this helps.

snoman

Visiting Guest

12-28-03, 10:18 AM   #3  
Jay Miller2
Thanks for the comeback snowman. I checked the friction wheel drive with the machine running, all the jackshafts and chains are rotating, but the axle will not turn. Sears says that there is nothing available for that machine in the way of manuals or parts.

So I guess I will just have to keep looking, if you come up with any other idea's please let me know.

Thanks,

Jay

CANADA

12-28-03, 10:38 AM   #4  
jay
Something in there is definately not making a connection. Start from the axle and work back. Can you turn the axles by hand ?If so what is attached to it for drive purposes (sprockets,drive wheel,etc) just keep following the drive system back and hopefully you should see something. Process of elimination.
Can you give me the Craftsman model number of your machine because I might be able to locate some info but I can't guarantee it. It should be a 143-???????? number on the frame of the snowblower.

snoman

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-28-03, 10:45 PM   #5  
Hello Jay!

If I remember correctly, 536 model craftsman machines are made by murray. Maybe that will help you find a manual made for the murray made counterpart of your machine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread