Torque Converter/Engine problems

Old 12-29-03, 10:54 AM
Torque Converter/Engine problems

I have an old Manco Go-Kart with a Briggs&Stratton 5hp engine on it. It has a 30 series 'Comet' Torque Converter set-up. When I first got it, it was used and probably really ragged out. I changed the oil, gas, and spark plug when i got it about a year ago. Since then I have also replaced the belt, driven sprocket (the one that is conected to the axle), and the 'buttons' on the "lower pulley". The belt is brand new. To start it up, I have to turn the "lower pulley" to the position where it does not grab. If i dont do this and i pull the cord, the g-kart will move with every turn of the c-shaft. once it starts up it will run fine. but i have no time to get on it. it is moving forward and there is no stoping it even though it is idling. then if i can jump on it and get going it will die after letting off after running full throttle. also the "lower pulley" is hot after only a little use. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mancoowner!

Sounds like the driven puley has problems. It could be that the moving parts are rusted and need cleaning and lubricating, or possibly is was assembled incorrectly. Is the drive pulley opening back up when the engine is off, or is it still squeezing the belt? It could be a problem there too.

Old 12-30-03, 07:08 AM
thanks, but, You see i had it all apart working on it and before i put each piece on i greased it up good. also i took it to a small engine repair shop and th ey looked at it and said everything was assembled corectly. this machine has been a pain evver since i got it thanks anywas i'll re-lube every thing and check that drive pulley.

Old 12-30-03, 02:50 PM
mancoowner
Is there any possibility that you may have purchased the incorrect belt...ie.too short or too wide? Sometimes that can happen.

snoman

Old 12-30-03, 04:13 PM
the nubers and design are the same so unless this number is a differentsize now, then i have the right size. but still that would not explain the engine dying when letting off after full throttle or just sitting and a foot off the gas. How do you explain that? I'm bumfuzzeled.

Old 12-31-03, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the engine just dying like it's getting shut off, or is it being choked off from the direct connection with the comet clutch? (kinda like stalling a car with standard shift when you stop without pressing the clutch pedal)? If it's just dying when you let off, then it's probably a problem in the idle circuit of the carb.

One thing to look at on the clutch...the belt should be loose when the engine is off. The clutch on the engine should be open far enough that the belt is all the way down in the groove of the pulley and touching the shaft. Also look at the belt and pulley...some have "v" pulleys, and some have a "v" on one side, but the other side is flat. If you have a v belt in the clutch with a flat side, you'll have some problems, and visa-versa.