Starting Chain saw

Old 12-29-03, 12:06 PM
Starting Chain saw

Gentlemen....I throughly enjoy this site ...it has helped me with outboard motor problems as well as riding mower issues.
As some of you may remember I am hadicapped with fairly severe arthritis in my hands and wriist. I cannot now start my chainsaws...The strength in my arms and hands is not good enough to hold the saw in my right hand and pull with my left. I Can pull okay with my right hand but can't stabilize the saw to do this. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how i can mount a board (wooden ) under the saw so I could stand on this and start the saw. These two saws I have are small one with 14 in bars .
Up until this year I have been physically able to start them but not now.
I also was thinking....why could one not use a battery powered drill with an adapter that holds the flywheel an duse it to turn the starter in stead of pulling the cord?????????? Sounds like it might work ...but I ain't no atomic scientist so who knows...
Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 12:35 PM
Hi there, what you may try doing is putting the saw on the ground, left hand on the handle bar, and then I like to put my right foot inside the rear handle to hold the saw down. this will enable you to pull with your right hand. The other option is looking for a saw with a decompression button if yours doesn't already have one.

Old 12-29-03, 05:54 PM
Hi Billsc6,
i. to suffer from arthritis. a solution to my problem was to buy a electric saw. lighter,no mess and no fuss.
just a thought.

Old 12-29-03, 07:25 PM
I have also thought about your idea of a drill. one might be able to customize a drill starter. though it would have to be strong enough. depending on the design of your saw one might even be able to just put a socket on and turn the nut that holds it on(as long as you turn the drill the right way, so as to not to unscrew the nut). or if the design was right one could fashion a flywheel puller on a drill and turn it. MAYBE

Old 12-29-03, 10:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Billsc6!

I also like to start saws as Dennis mentioned...with my foot in the handle area. Some saws actually have a flat spot molded into that area for that purpose. One thought....even a small 14" saw can kick back pretty hard under the right circumstances. The reason I bring this up is for safety's sake. If you cannot pull the rope enough to start it, will you be able to maintain full control of the saw if it ever kicks back or something similar? I'm sure you've probably already thought of that, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention it.

Old 12-30-03, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys...

I appreciate all the suggestions and will give the foot under the handle trick....I also have looked at electric saws but I would need a very loooonnngg extension cord to use one sine lots of my use is at my mountain home up on the side of a mountain about 4000 feet up with the nearest house about 1/4 mile away. The drill thing is a thought I had and I am going to work on it a bit....my Dad was an engineer ..I suspect I got some mechanical expertise from him...<g>
I am curious about the decompression button idea....have never seen a saw with one but it would help greatly...Anyone know which saws have these? I have two saws....one elcheapo called Beaver that has so little compression that I can easily pull it....the other is a old Poulan and it has great compression....I also have a very old poulan with a 19 inch bar..straight and bow bars...I can barely lift it since it is very heavy and about ten years ago I could start it but can't pull it now...I bet it weighs about 50 lbs....It sits in a special place in my basement ..I did run thru sabilizer last time I started it
I also have thought of buying a new saw since mine are at least ten years old...the Husky 345 seems to be a good choice so I will search the internet for best price. Anyone with a web site to suggest will be appreciated.
BTW...I am 70 years old and yes...I do think about safety and kickback...I try to be very cautious ....only once in all my years have i experienced kick back....I was cutting rail road cross ties about 5 years ago...I keep my strongest hand (right) on the saftey bar and feed gas with my weakest hand...Left handed I guess you would call it...

Thanks guys..
If at first you don't succeed...don't be a damn fool...QUIT!!!LOL

Old 12-30-03, 11:20 PM
safety is the best policy in my book!

Old 12-30-03, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most larger husqvarna saws have compression releases, and some of the smaller ones have a plug that a compression release can be installed in.

Old 12-31-03, 08:12 AM
Cheese, as of late I do believe all Husky and Jonsered chainsaws have compression releases, I am sure the 345 that Bill is looking at has it as well....but it is something to look for

Old 02-21-04, 03:37 PM
Update on Chainsaw starting problems

Guys...I can't beging to thank you guys enough for your input to my problems....After reading your post I started to looking for new saws.....I found there was a shortage of husky 345 models due to their popularity. After placing my order I waited for a couple weeks and still had it on backorder with little hope of any close delivery date. I searched other sites for the saw but most were much higher in price....at the end of third week I called inquiring about the delivery date....Still no hope ...saying mostly the Husky reps did not return calls and weren't helpful...They offered me a model 350 for a few dolars more so I took it....The saw arrived and I assmebled the blade and put in gas and oil.... Put it on the ground and placed my foot thru the handle....grabbed the handle with my left hand and pushed the magic little button that Dennis told me about...Pulled three times and VOILA!!!! It roared to life....I love it....immediately cut every non needed tree in sight and had fun.....the old schriveled arthritic fingers and hands were alive again with renewed power...I love the ease of use of this saw and have a trip planned now to go to my mountain home and give the whole mountain a trim...<g>

Thanks again guys....help such as yours is golden...

Old 02-21-04, 05:36 PM
hopefully your other saw will arive some time this year! LOL

Old 02-21-04, 06:03 PM
Thats good news!!!

Old 02-22-04, 08:52 AM
Great news Bill!! Enjoy cutting down the local forests!! lol

Old 02-22-04, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the outcome! Glad we could help you!

Search this Thread