If you're up for some good reading

Old 12-29-03, 05:49 PM
If you're up for some good reading

I know in some of my posts I recommend picking up the technical manual regarding your particular engines...reason being these books offer so much information for not only yours but most likely many of your friends too. They are written in very understandable terms plus they have lots of pictures for reference. I've got a decent library from the motors that I've worked on over the years and I still don't have all of them that I'd like. Below are part numbers and brief description for some of the Tecumseh manuals. If you're interested in learning more about your motors then some of these would be a great place to start

Covers the diagnosis and repair of Tecumseh 2 cycle engines. Except the TC engine and TVS840.

Covers the diagnosis and repair of the Tecumseh 4 cycle light/medium frame engines.

691462A
Covers the diagnosis and repair of Tecumseh 4 cycle large frame engines.

Covers the diagnosis and repair of Peerless power train components.

Contains technical information for the repair of the TC series, 2 cycle engines.

contains diagnosis and technical information for the repair of TVS840, HSK/HXL845/850, 2 cycle engines.

695244A
Covers the diagnosis and repair of the OVRM/OVM/OHM/OHV 4 cycle overhead valve engines.

Covers the diagnosis and repair of the Vector Series 4 cycle engines.

snoman

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-03, 07:24 AM
Where do you get these manuals and how much are they? The local book stores don't have them. Would the small engine shops in the area be able to get them?

Old 12-30-03, 01:11 PM
mower17
If you go to your local small motor dealer and if they sell tecumseh parts there, they may have them in stock or they can order them for you. Prices may vary between 10 and 20 dollars each or so.

snoman

Old 12-30-03, 06:28 PM
I have an old Allis Chalmers mower, 38" I think. It is 30+ years old and when I took it in to have them cure it blowing oil ... I do small repairs real well but replacing internal parts is not my forte ... they gave me the parts and shop manuals for free. They said all their specs are on CD or micro fiche and its easier than the shop manuals.

Old 12-31-03, 11:16 AM
tea3803
For their convenience cd's and microfiche are great for them but I like to have the books close by in my little garage shop. I've found them so invaluable.

snoman

Old 12-31-03, 09:35 PM
I LOVE having the books. Like I said I do all my work except for the internal stuff. I could probably handle the internal too but I would rather leave that to the pro's. I guess I don't trust myself enough!

Old 01-01-04, 08:42 AM
tea3803
You sound like you are quite interested in learning so why not get yourself an old lawnmower from a garage sale or out of the newspaper (they are usually quite cheap) and experiment. Get your self the required book, tear down the motor and try to rebuild it. With all the experience available here on this site from Cheese and the other fine contributors you've got nothing to lose and a lot of experience to gain.

snoman

Old 01-01-04, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can do it...if you're a bit mechanically inclined (which it sounds like you are). Don't be afraid to jump right in and tackle this stuff...you'll probably find out that it's not as hard as you thought.

Old 01-03-04, 07:56 AM
Oh sure embarass me into it! giggle

Right now we are drawing the specs for a workshop to be built this spring. Once I get a decent place to work on things ... I love to work on things ... I will probably do it. Trying to do a rework on a carport in all weather is fine if I have to, but I would rather do it right.

So expect numerous questions come summer or later ... summer is yard time and once again repairs are only what needs to be done.

I do respect the knowledge base that exists here and will use it as long as you don't charge me too much, lol.

Thanks
Tom

Old 01-03-04, 11:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
hehe...we'll be here to answer those questions. No charge of course but donations can be sent to my address which is: aww, nevermind, LOL