engine running problems

Old 12-30-03, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
engine running problems

I have an 83 Yahmaha Moto 4. The other day it was 60 degrees (really cold for us down here) and i went to start up the 4-wheeler in which i just replaced the 12 volt battery.(4 cycle engine). It easily started with the choke on and i sat thurr running it for a few seconds to let it warm up. I put it in gear and pressed the gass only to have it sputter and die. I did this over and over again until i would know when to let off before it dies. I checked a hose that usually does that when it clogs up but it was clean. I kept starting it and trying to give it gas until i got tierd of it and parked it. I thought it might be something in the carb but it was to late to do anything else. Day after next I started it up and did the run.....die routine for alittle bit. killed it let it sit for 15 min. Did that some more and then let it sit for 15 min.
Once again i started it up and it ran all the way full throttle and like new. Wierd huh? Happy Holidays Yall!

Old 12-30-03, 11:23 PM
What happened most likely is you flooded your engine. Peer and simple. Just remember, never warm up a engine on choke. That only to get it started when its cold. Once the engine is going take it off choke and warm it at idle speed.

Old 12-30-03, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I ran into this same problem a few months ago. I found a bad pulse generator to be the problem. It is a winding that found near the charge stator, and it generates the pulse that generates ignition voltage and timing. There is a procedure to test for this, but I don't have tha manual. I borrowed a manual when I did this test. It also sounds like you could have a carb problem. Some 2 strokes like yours do need warming up with the choke on.

Old 01-01-04, 12:57 PM
both of you are wrong. I started it up yesterday and it did it again. i tore apart the carb and the foat was stuck. surprised me.

Old 01-01-04, 10:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I did mention that too....quote "It also sounds like you could have a carb problem. " Glad you found it and got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know how it went.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: