Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

01-08-04, 03:28 PM   #1  
alinwrkshp
Craftsman Snow blower wont stay started

I have read through several of the posts and attempted the advice given by cheese in one of the other posts. Bear with me i am very new to small engines and know even less about this snowblower.

Its a 20 inch self propelled Craftsman Eager-1. I dont know how old and I have no clue what engine. I do know the model number is 536-90550, if that helps identify.

My problem is much like one mentioned about a 5hp tecumsah. I can poor gas in the spark plug hole and it will stay started about 3 seconds, but then dies. So i pulled the bowl and screw mentioned off of the carb and cleaned it. When i first pulled it, there was a strong varnish(?) smell from the liquid that came out, and there was very little of it. I found the bolt mentioned and tried to clean it thouroughly. Although im a little skittish around it b/c i dont know anything about adjusting carbs and have know clue what i could do to get replacement parts if i broke it.

The screw is odd. It is spring adjustable from what I can tell and it is hollow with a sharp pointed plastic(?) spike running down the center of the shaft, inside the bolt itself. Looks to be some sort of way to adjust how much fuel is coming in. There is a single hole 3/4 of the way up on the outside of the screw in the threads. I cleaned this all out, hopefully good enough and put it all back together. I didnt mess too much with the inside spike, since i dont really know what it is. I also did not change the compression of the spring, just unscrewed the whole thing.

Now, the very first pull, it sputtered and acted like it was trying to catch. That gave me hope, but now I am back to my first problem. It still wont start without gas in the spark plug hole and even at that, it doesnt stay started. Although now I have a new problem. It looks like my bowl is filled? when I press the priming bulb it spits out gas out of a tiny little hole? I assume this means I have flooded it. I plan on letting it set for a while and trying again later without priming it, but im really stumped. Did I not clean that bolt and bowl good enough? I assume, the bowl is not supposed to be that full, and the carb is still restricted due to this bolt, but should I be cleaning this bolt differently or does it sound like there is another problem?

Again, please excuse my ignorance. I want to do this myself, but I need a starting point and a little more experience than i have!

Sponsored Links

01-08-04, 03:44 PM   #2  
That bolt you removed has 2 or 3 very tiny holes in the side of it that MUST be cleaned spotless. The old gas that you smelled might also be the problem, so it wouldn't hurt to drain the tank. Eager-1 is a sears engine made by Tecumseh. The pointed spike in the center of the bolt you removed is the high speed adjusting screw, this might have to be re-adjusted before and after startup. The link below should give you a good idea about your carburetor and cleaning that center bolt, just scroll half-way down the page and you will be able to see those small holes in the side of that center bolt.

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb1.htm

Visiting Guest

01-08-04, 07:22 PM   #3  
alinwrkshp
Excellent!

Thank you so much mower17! I knew i was missing a hole or two, turned out to be that tiny one on the side! That picture was exactly what I was looking for. It showed where I should start digging!

That didnt do it immediately but it your second statement about having to adjust the high speed adjusting screw before I tried to start it did! Now it'll start up first pull.

Reason I know so little about this was it was given to me under the basis, if you can get it running its your, if not trash it. I spent $6 on this project total. I still have a little tweaking to the carb settings, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

One more question, that high speed adjusting screw sets the Engine speed right? When i set the throttle to full speed this thing sounds like its about ready to bust open, then it cycles, loud-less loud-loud-less loud. To my untrained ear, it sounds like the engine rpms are too high and its making the engine try too hard, but even backing this screw out about 1 turn from dying still doesn't seem to fully aleviate this. Which should i try to have set correctly first, this adjusting screw or the mixture screws for the carb?

Thanks a ton for they help you already provided! It works, right now thats good enough for me!

01-08-04, 07:34 PM   #4  
The high speed screw (the one in the center of that bolt) adjusts the fuel mixture for full throttle opperation. If an engine is set to lean it will start running fast and surging like you mentioned. If left in this lean condition, it will overheat and lockup. To adjust the high speed mixture, run the engine wide open and tighten the screw in until it starts to run fast and surge, then back it out until the engine starts to run rough and kill, then tighten the screw in until it is centered between these two positions. To set the low speed screw (the other fuel mixture screw), run the engine at idle and turn it back and forth like mentioned for the high speed screw until it runs the smoothest. It doesn't matter which screw you set first, but after setting both of them, you might want to go back and fine tune them again since adjusting one could slightly throw the other one a little off. Great job on getting it running!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mower17; 01-08-04 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-08-04, 10:27 PM   #5  
Hello alinwrkshp!

Sounds like you're almost there! Glad you got it going. Mower gave you some great advice. The engine will surge like that if it is running too lean (not getting enough fuel). Further adjustment of the carb might be necessary, but knowing how those tecumseh carbs are, I would bet that it still is blocked a bit. Also, if it is still dripping/squirting fuel, then you need to replace the needle and seat, and possibly the float. You can tell if the float needs replacing by removing it and shaking it. While shaking it, listen for fuel sloshing around in it. If you hear it sloshing, then it is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

01-12-04, 07:44 PM   #6  
Hello all. I think I may have the same sort of problem so I didn't start a new thread.

Here are the specs for my snowblower:
Yard-Man Snow Bird 6hp
Model #7010-1
Serial #Y-2004

I received this snowblower about a month ago. It hasn't been used in two years and gas was left in it. I replaced the carburator, fuel shut off valve, cleaned the tank, and replaced the hose, which I think may have been larger in diameter than the one that was on it. (Not sure if this a problem) It now starts right up, which didn't previous to the replacements. The problem is that it chokes out after a short while. It takes a bit of time for me to progress with releasing the choke. It wants to choke out if released too soon. Once I finally get it to full throttle, it runs ok but then soon flutters in between choking out and full throttle and ultimately chokes out. This whole series is done in about a minutes time.

Can this be rectified the same way as above? Is the larger diameter of the fuel line a problem? Should the fuel shut off valve always be wide open? Are there other problems that I should fix or look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-12-04, 11:09 PM   #7  
Hello Dirt!

The fuel shutoff should be wide open. The fuel line will not cause running problems, but is likely to leak, or come off very easily.

What brand and model engine is on the unit? Sounds like you need to richen up the high speed air-fuel mixture. It is usually a screw that goes up from underneath the carb bowl. Back it out 1/2 turn or so. Is the carb new? (you said you replaced it, but I don't know if it is new or not).

God bless!

NJ

01-13-04, 05:22 AM   #8  
Hi Cheese. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

The new hose is just minimally lager than the old. It fits snuggly and does not leak.

I am not sure of the model of the engine but I believe it is a 6hp Briggs & Stratton.

The carburator is brand new.

Thank you again for your help already and any further help you can give me.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-14-04, 12:35 AM   #9  
Have you checked the valve clearances?

God bless!

NJ

01-14-04, 05:46 AM   #10  
I got it!!! I adjusted the high speed bolt at full throttle and had it running smoothly for about 15 minutes. Tomorrow will be the real test with the prdiction of a few inches of snow. Thank you Cheese for your help. It is much appreciated.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-15-04, 12:38 AM   #11  
Great! I figured it just needed to be richened up a bit!

God bless!

NJ

01-16-04, 07:19 AM   #12  
Well we got 7" of snow here yesterday. I started the blower up and let it warm up for about 15 minutes. It idled perfectly. I made a nice run and on the second run it coughed out. About every half a run after that it choked out and I had to adjust the high speed bolt. It runs and sounds fine when in neutral but started choking when I start blowing snow and needs constant adjustment. Any other adjustments or things I should look at?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-16-04, 10:44 PM   #13  
Time to clean the carburetor out. Probably water or trash from the tank got in it.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

01-17-04, 10:49 AM   #14  
MI_Twins
Cheese et al, Thanks for your posts! I have an old Ariens Sno-Throw w/ a 6 hp Tecumseh that was cutting out on me after about 1/2 my snow was cleared. It wouldn't run w/ the choke full open, so I was clearing with 3/4 choke. After reading this thread, I was able to back off the high speed screw and it is running much better and w/ the choke off. Snowing right now, but only looks like 1-2", probably will shovel.

Thanks againg for all your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-17-04, 09:54 PM   #15  
Glad we could help! Usually, but not always, having to adjust the high speed screw means you are compensating for a partial clog in the carburetor. If it was running well before, and now you have to make other adjustments to get it going good, there is another problem. Sometimes the small adjustment is all that is needed and all is well. Other times, the problem will return, and you adjust again, and it returns, etc... until you have to clean the carb. (best thing to do is go ahead and clean it).

God bless!

Search this Thread