Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flame Throwing Snowblower

Visiting Guest

01-09-04, 03:48 PM   #1  
doitnewf
Flame Throwing Snowblower

Blowing snow last nite with mu 8 hp. B&S snowblower I notice it wasn't running right, backfiring a little & small blue flames shooting out of the muffler, I looked in at the muffler & it was red hot.
Any ideas?
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links

01-09-04, 04:18 PM   #2  
Check what's easy first:
Try adjusting the high speed mixture control on the carb. Check for loose bolts that hold the carb & muffler onto the cylinder head. Make sure that all the cooling fins on the cylinder are clean and not caked with dirt & grease and that there is plenty of air flow past those fins from the blower fins on the flywheel. Sometimes guys remove all the shrouding from the sides of the cylinder. Air then doesn't flow properly & the cylinder overheats.

What may not be so easy:
Older engines have a set of contact points that will effect the timing. Remove the flywheel and make sure the points are adjusted to spec. Remove the head and make sure that there isn't a bunch of carbon built up on the top of the head and cylinder. Make the top of the cylinder and the cylinder head itself all shiney & clean.

There are probably some other stuff I haven't though of. Some of the other guys will probably help out there.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-09-04, 04:18 PM   #3  
Hello doitnewf!

Sounds to me like a carb problem. Remove the screw that holds the bowl on and drop the bowl. Clean it out, and clean out the holes in the sides of the screw. Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

01-15-04, 07:33 PM   #4  
doitnewf
FOund out that I put too much gasline antifreeze in the tank!!
I'm lucky a didn't burn a hole in the piston!
A buddy of mine who is a small engine tech. says it's a common mistake and can burn up a engine.
A spoonful in a tank is plenty!
Cheers
Newf

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-15-04, 07:58 PM   #5  
Glad you found the problem! Thanks for letting us know how it went!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread