Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Special tool

Visiting Guest

01-12-04, 08:17 AM   #1  
jlm
Special tool

Does anyone know where I can obtain a tool which removes the clutch sprocket on Craftsman chain saws. I believe these are really Poulan saws with the Craftsman name on them.
The tool is special as it has to fit into two pin grooves not a standard nut drive to remove the clutch. This is the first unit that I have run into without a nut on the end of the shaft.
Please advise. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-12-04, 11:12 PM   #2  
Hello jlm!

You can use a punch and hammer to turn that clutch and get it off. Place the punch on the edge of the hole and strike it until it comes loose. I don't know where that tool would be available.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

01-13-04, 08:14 AM   #3  
jlm, you can get that tool from your Jonsered or Husqvarna dealer.....or you can build a socket to fit into the pin holes...the other option, is taking a piece of flatbar, drill two holes in it matching the pin holes on the clutch, take bolts and put them through the holes (making sure of course the two bolts fit in the pin holes..then you can just use your piston stop and take the clutch off like normal.

Visiting Guest

01-14-04, 10:47 AM   #4  
jlm
Thanks for the responce! I did almost exactly that. I took a piece of 2" round stock, faced it off square, drilled two holes and press fit dowel pins in it and welded a 3/8" drive socket to it so I could use my air impact and it works great.
Thanks.

01-14-04, 11:31 AM   #5  
Glad to hear ya got it figured out..keep that tool handy as more and more of the Poulan (Jonsered, Husky, Craftsman) small consumer saws are coming out with that style of clutch.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-15-04, 12:34 AM   #6  
Glad you got it!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread