MTD Snowblower carb problem

Old 12-06-09, 01:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MTD Snowblower carb problem

I have an old MTD snowblower model 316-180-000 (1986). While trying to get it started this winter, I find that the engine floods and the carb drips raw gas. It will start if the tank is almost empty (for 10-15 sec then die - as the gas runs out). When I fill the tank, the carb will leak quite a bit until empty, flooding the engine. The gas appears to be leaking out of the carb air intake hole. I assume that the float and needle valve are not closing properly but can't determine why.

I have removed the carb cup, cleaned the insides, and holes, and checked the needle valve and float. They seem to work OK when apart.

What am I missing???
How should the little spring on the end of the needle valve (toward the float lever) be place to interact with the float lever properly? Could this be the problem? Which side of the float lever should the spring be setting?

Thanks for your ideas.

Old 12-06-09, 01:51 PM
A
Without the engine brand, model number, etc. I can only give you generic advice. Post the numbers if you need additional help.

Polish the hole the needle sits in using a Q-tip saturated with metal polish.

Very likely, the engine oil is contaminated with gasoline. The gasoline dilutes the oil and if you run it this way, you risk damaging the engine.

These links may help with the carburetor and answer your questions.

Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

Tecumseh Carb Floods

Tecumseh Carb Cleanup

http://www.greenindustryeducation.co...s/Tecumseh.pdf

Old 12-06-09, 06:00 PM
W
Originally Posted by Airman
Without the engine brand, model number, etc. I can only give you generic advice. Post the numbers if you need additional help.

Polish the hole the needle sits in using a Q-tip saturated with metal polish.

Very likely, the engine oil is contaminated with gasoline. The gasoline dilutes the oil and if you run it this way, you risk damaging the engine.

These links may help with the carburetor and answer your questions.

Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

Tecumseh Carb Floods

Tecumseh Carb Cleanup

http://www.greenindustryeducation.co...s/Tecumseh.pdf
Thanks for the note. I do have a Tecumseh engine (2 stroke) and the carb above looks just like it. I'm going to double check the spring clip position as mine looks like it isn't set properly. The damping spring on the float may also be set wrong or broken as I get no spring action on the float right now. May need a new spring.

Much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: