Ariens belt replacement update

Old 01-13-04, 03:41 PM
Ariens belt replacement update

Hello:

Hope it's OK to start a new thread on this issue.

First, I apolgise for not posting the tutorial with pics, but the digital cam died just as I was ready to do the project (now I have one more thing to fix on a cold winter night.)

I'll certainly do so when the weather gets warmer; we've had 30 below temps and I had to move fast when the weather got to 30 on Sunday.

Anyway, the belt replacement on my Ariens is VERY simple:

1. Remove plastic shroud over the belts and pulleys (2 bolts.)

2. Remove the nut securing the worm gear to the chute.

3. Remove the top two bolts that secure the auger housing to the back end of the unit.

4. Loosen the lower bolts slightly, then "scissor" the back end from the auger housing. Belts are now easily accessible for replacement.

Note: this might have been a 10 minute job but I discovered other problems--primarily the impeller shaft bearing, which was in bits and pieces.

I may have mentioned this before, but had to completely disassemble the front end, then decided to clean and repaint while waiting for a bearing flange retainer.

Chevrolet Engine Block Orange REALLY is a darn close match to Ariens orange. I can't tell the difference.

Anyway, am still waiting for belts but it is throwing MUCH better.

Tip: If you think your belts need replacement when it bogs down in heavy wet snow check the tensioner pulley of the impeller auger drive. It's on a slotted arm and IS adjustable. I adjusted mine as far as possible but still need a new belt. That said, the old girl chewed through the detritus at the end of the driveway and is now throwing other wet snow as far as 10 to 12 ft.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if a new belt make a big difference. Anyone know how far the 5HP units should throw average snow?

I'll send pics of it in action next time we have snow--and that will be very soon I hope as it means warmer weather. We are looking at a possible 50 below tonight and tomorrow night.

Cheerio,

Snowman53

I did the driveways of two elderly neighbors who have snowblowers but must not have been feeling well as they were not out. This thing is definitely working better!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-04, 07:18 PM
Awsome Snowman53...

I am very impressed with your troubleshooting, diagnostics, and paitants on this matter! Most people would just send these things to the shop to get repaired and spend at least 100 bucks!

Old 01-13-04, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey snowman!

Thanks for posting these tips/instructions on here! It is sure to be helpful to other members!

Old 12-05-09, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Terminator20 View Post
Awsome Snowman53...

I am very impressed with your troubleshooting, diagnostics, and paitants on this matter! Most people would just send these things to the shop to get repaired and spend at least 100 bucks!
100 bucks! The place near me charges that for pickup and delivery. I know this is an old post but I wanted to thank you for saving me a lot of time and money. I was done in 20 minutes, and saved a ton of cash. At least 200 bucks.

Old 12-05-09, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tip.
The first time i split my machine was a nightmare.

Everything went fine till i leaned the tractor back to get to the belts/pulleys. The tractor handles slipped out of my hands and the bucket jumped off the two slotted lower bolts
and fell forward. Being a newbie to all this i no idea that the tractor had a limit to opening.