snow blower won't start

Old 01-15-04, 11:05 AM
missyjoy
Visiting Guest
Question snow blower won't start

i have a noma 4.5 hp snow blower that will not start. i put fresh gas in like normal but this time it is not working. i would like to try and fix myself before going to over priced shop. please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 03:28 PM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
missyjoy,

Check the cylinder for scoring. See if you have spark. Clean the carb.
Just curious, how much is the over priced shop going to charge you? 'lint.

Old 01-15-04, 05:17 PM
re: noma

Hello missyjoy:

I had never heard of Noma snowblowers but now see they are manufactured by Murray.

It most likely has a Techumseh engine.

I'd recommend you try to be more detailed on the particualr model you have, and that you provide the model number of the engine--which is likely on the top just behing the spark plug area.

Anyway, check to see if it has spark and ignition first, but also let us know the general area or part of the country you live in.

It's 35 below where I live now and my neighbor just came over and asked me to help him get his Ariens going.

It does not have electric start and he'd left the fuel tank less than 1/2 full in varying weather conditions.

I added a splash of drygas, refilled the tank and then removed the sparkplug and heated it until it was nearly red hot--then gave the cylinder a quick shot of ether and reinstalled the plug.

THis is an 8 HP machine and started on the first pull after that.

Ohhh..heating the spark plug with a propane torch is an old trick here in this cold landscape. DO remember to actually remove the plug and not to do the heating near ANY flammable materials or fuels.

Good Luck,

Snowman53