Deck belt

Old 01-18-04, 03:11 PM
Deck belt

Can someone give me "a rule of thumb" for how tight the deck belt should be? The reason that I'm asking, is that I have a "beetle shaped" cub cadet and with the deck engaged it dosen't seem tight at all. The blade turns but I don't know if would continue turning in heavy grass. I haven't got any to try it right now. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 05:47 PM
Ok, to know how tight to adjust it, you need to engage the blade belt, then tighten it tight enough to where it grabs on the pully really well, but not to tight to where the belt gets tossed off or chewd up. Basically tight but not to maximum.

Old 01-18-04, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jack B.!

A rule of thumb is to get it tight enough that the blade will not turn by hand without turning the engine at the same time. If it is loose enough to slip, it needs to be tighter, unless it takes a good bit of effort to make it slip (as would be with larger horsepower engines and 2 cylinder engines)...but yours probably only has an 8hp and should be easy enough to turn the engine with the blade. Turn it the same direction it would turn if it were running...it will slip the other way.