King model G-218 coil tester

Old 01-19-04, 08:38 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Question King model G-218 coil tester

Can anyone give me a brief rundown on how to hook up a coil and condenser tester? This model has a cord plug which is obviously 115 VAC input to the tester, it also has a wire and connecter which goes to the spark plug wire of the coil, and it also has two alligator clips on seperate wires which I'm not sure of. Are these two for testing condensors?
There are two dials for increasing and decreasing voltage input, and two metal contacts which I assume show the spark (Arc) if the coil is good.
I don't want to use this until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
More information or a test procure would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-04, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
This tester will only work on automotive type coils, or 12 volt powered coils...like the round can coils found on older vehicles. Kohler used some of these type coils on older engines, but it will not test magneto type coils that I'm aware of. What kind of coil are you trying to test?

Old 01-20-04, 04:13 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Magneto's from Briggs 5-10hp, and chain saw magneto's. I have a saw that stops (looses spark ) when it gets up to running temperature. When it cools down it will start again. I believe it to be the coil or magneto but have no way to test other than to replace it and see if that corrects the issue.

Old 01-20-04, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You are right in thinking the coil is bad on that saw. I am not familiar with the exact coil tester you mentioned, but it definitely sounds like one for automotive-type coils. On a coil like the one on your saw, when it does what yours is doing, it's usually bad. There is a looong piece of thin wire wrapped around in the coil. If that thin wire develops a break in it, it can still work well, but when the coil gets hot after a certain amount of use, the wire in the coil expands. When it expands, it breaks contact at the spot where the wire is broken and quits firing, or starts firing erratically. Then when it cools down again, it contracts, and makes contact again, like all is well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: