governor linkage

Old 01-19-04, 06:05 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Angry governor linkage

Hi guys,I have a 1994 MTD 5/22 snowthrower,with a HSSK50 Tecumseh engine. I recently took the carb off to clean all the built up crap out of it and it runs really smooth but I lost some power somewhere in the distance it throws the snow.I'm not sure I have the governor set correctly since I did remove the governor adjustable rod that comes out of the block. I know it is hard to give advice on something like this but all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Scamper

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 07:48 PM
Scamper
this is what the Tecumseh book says on how to adjust your governor:
"With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the governor clamp on the governor lever. Rotate the clamp in a direction that will force the throttle shaft open and allow the governor follower arm to rest on the governor spool. Push the governor lever connected to the throttle to the wide open throttle position. Hold the lever and clamp in this position while tightening the screw."

Now in my own words for the same thing.....turn the throttle to the off or dead position and now loosen the 1/4" screw holding the governor arm. move the little lever (where the screw was loosened from) clockwise til it can't go any more. Now move the longer lever so that your throttle is in a wide open position. Tighten the screw at this point and you're done.
Easy test is with the throttle still in the dead position the lever should move back and forth freely, then put the throttle in full throttle position and move the same arm, you should now feel pressure.

Hope this helps you.

snoman

Old 01-19-04, 09:28 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Thanks snoman, would this apply even though I moved the governor arm coming from the block?

Old 01-19-04, 09:32 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Ok, I see what you mean snoman, that is the governor lever.
Thanks a million
Steve

Old 01-20-04, 07:05 PM
scamper
You're most welcome...glad to have been of assistance.
If you are interested in learning more about Tecumseh engines then I would highly recommend getting the Tecumseh Technicians Handbook. It can be gotten from your local small motor dealer or he can order it for you. It's very good reading.

snoman