Fuel filter

Old 01-23-04, 01:06 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Red face Fuel filter

Hi,I'm back again, my snowthrower MTD 5/22 with Tecumseh Hssk50 engine didn't have a fuel filter installed, would it be to my advantage or disadvantage to install a inline filter?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 01:42 PM
I don't think you can go wrong filtering your fuel. However Snow Blowers operate in an environment such that if the filter traps moisture it will freeze and the engine won't run. Similar explanation as to why Snow Blower engines don't have air filters. They would trap moisture and clog with ice.
Some guys have been reporting the use of a funnel that has a an integral fuel filter moisture trap.
Marc

Old 01-23-04, 04:08 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Thanks Marc, makes sense to me but I can't help to wonder how these guys that have plows on the front of their riding mowers don't freeze up knowing that they have inline filters.
Thanks
scamper

Old 01-23-04, 09:31 PM
Hi Scamper -
I have no experience with riding mowers or tractors so I don't know what kind of filter they use. If they are the cannister type they may be filter/water seperators like the ones on outboard motors.
Marc

Old 01-24-04, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello scamper!

I agree, a filter will do no harm. Freezing should not occurr unless you get water in the fuel, which is not supposed to happen anyway.

Old 01-25-04, 08:08 PM
If snow is coming at you when its blown out than the answer is obvious. Blow the snow the other direction so snow does not accumilate on the machine and yourself.

Old 01-25-04, 11:19 PM
scamper
Visiting Guest
HI cheese, thanks for the reply, you don't think a filter would restrict the amount of fuel required to run this thing do you? I can't help to wonder why they never installed one.
Thanks
scamper

Old 01-25-04, 11:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, it shouldn't restrict the flow at all. It will be fine with a filter. I suppose it didn't come with one for either cost factors, and/or the fact that snowblowing isn't a dirty/dusty operation, so contamination wouldn't be such a problem. (like cutting grass would be).

Old 01-26-04, 08:58 AM
scamper
Visiting Guest
Hi cheese, I agree and thanks for the reply.
scamper

Old 02-01-04, 09:57 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Terminator20
If snow is coming at you when its blown out than the answer is obvious. Blow the snow the other direction so snow does not accumilate on the machine and yourself.
Yeah right, tell mother nature to turn the wind off.