LP 16 hp Briggs

Old 01-25-04, 11:26 AM
LP 16 hp Briggs

I have a 16 hp single cyl Briggs I wouldnt mind running on propane. I have a couple nice alum 40# and was wondering if 40 would run it. Wouldnt mind running on vapor if it was possible. Anyone have LP experience with these?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-04, 01:31 PM
Wow interesting idea!

No one has asked us about this kind of thing before. Chesse would be your most likely guy to get a answer from on this question.

Old 01-25-04, 02:50 PM
They do that kind of thing all the time with lift truck engines. You need a pressure reducer and a different carb. Running on propane also has a few drawbacks. You don't get much in the way of valve stem lubrication so you can have problems with valve guides long term and there are a couple of other problems, but I forgot what they were. I once had bought a carb to run the service van on propane but never completed the job. Fueling was going to be a problem and a dual fuel system was the only thing that made sense. There is little advantage to running propane other than reduced emissions in a closed environment unless you have a ready source of fuel and can easily refill when you need to.

Old 01-25-04, 09:58 PM
Old 01-25-04, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello sberry27!

I haven't got much experience converting these over to propane, or running them, but I know there are carb modifications needed. Kits are available for different carbs to make them propane compatable. Also stellite valves and seats are pretty much necessary for any kind of longevity out of the valve system. Other than that, it will run and run well off propane. Should be about the same performance.

Old 01-26-04, 09:24 PM
There will be about 70% of power with LP. It has 74% of gasoline and there is another 4.6% loss for volumetric effeciency. The gas vapor takes up that much space. I have a bunch of LP engines, just none this small and I think 10 hp and under uses another system yet.

Old 01-26-04, 11:15 PM
I don't get it. Running propane certainly can be done. I saw it for the first time years ago when a large distributor of the stuff to farmers was using it to power company cars and service trucks. There were many large tanks on the grounds and they got their stuff in bulk from rail cars. In that case it was clear that they could save some cash over buying fuel from the local oil company. Some ,I suppose, would like to make a polical statement of sorts and not support the likes of the large oil corporations. Other companies use LNG in fork lifts that run indoors. Is there another reason why someone would take all the additional steps necessary to run a small engine on propain?

Old 01-27-04, 03:44 PM
Ya, so we can run this welding mahine indoors in a factory if we have to. Drive right in with it on a pickup truck.

Old 01-27-04, 04:23 PM
There you go, makes perfect sense.

Old 01-27-04, 04:54 PM
LPG for Briggs

Hello Sberry:

LPG conversions have been common for many years in the agricultural, transportation and industrial areas.

My first was a Chevy Suburban that I converted for dual fuel, both gasoline and propane.

Worked out well but had a bit less power and lower fuel mileage--not a big deal with a Chevy 454. MY only real complaint is that I trashed a starter. The thing ran SO quietly that I often tried to start it when it was already running.

I've recently converted my backup generators to run on propane and will have to do so for my new pressure washer as well as I've won a bid for a job in a warehouse where a gas engine won't be allowed.

There are--at least to my knowledge--three basic approaches here. The first involves a dual-fuel carb (often called bi-fuel)\

Second is a straight carb replacement for one that runs ONLY of LPG.

Third is an adapter for your existing carb, one that basically changes the venturi size and does a few other things like regulating intake pressure.

As there are so many types and not all are available for every small engine you'll need to do some research once armed with the model and serial number of your engine.

Here are a few links:

http://www.hendrixsystems.com/conversions.htm

http://www.propane-generators.com/briggs_&_stratton.htm

The second one is probably a better bet as they have a good selection of kits for Briggs--which seem to be the least often converted for small engines.

My guess is you should expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $225 depending on the engine.

I'd also recommend that you contact a local propane supplier in your area as I would imagine they will know of a local supplier for conversions. They want to sell propane so will likely bend over backwards to help you, and find you what you need at a fair price.

Old 01-28-04, 10:02 AM
My local propane supplier is handicapped and spread pretty thin in the tech dept. I do buy about 10,000 gals a year from them. I will look at the links. The stuff from Alt Fuels was 185$-212$ depending. The priceier one was for dual fuel.