oiler on chainsaw

Old 01-26-04, 04:59 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
oiler on chainsaw

Hey Cheese! I have yet another question about the chain oiler system on a saw. The oiler looks like a felt pad mounted to a round gasket with a hose line that runs from the oiler to the output track on the saw.
My question is what makes the oil pump thru the line?
Does some of the compression pressurize the chain oil tank and force it to go thru the line?
This is a Poulan saw Model 1800? not sure about that model. It's a small saw maybe 14" bar.
Any help would be appreciated. The saw is not putting oil on the bar,it runs great but the chain will burn up if the oiler doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 12:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi jlm!

I'm not sure I am picturing the felt pad and gasket. Is the gasket like a diaphragm? Is it sandwiched between the case and a cover held down with screws? If so, and it is an automatic oiler, then yes, it does operate off of crankcase pressure. The pressure will pulse the diaphragm and pump the oil out to the chain. Some automatic oilers don't use a diaphragm. They just pressurize the oil tank and use an orifice to meter the oil onto the chain. I'm not sure which type is on that saw. (sounds like the diaphragm type by your description).

Old 01-27-04, 04:23 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Yes you are correct it is a diaphram type, with the metal plate and screws holding it down. The problem is there's no oil pumping out. I replaced the tube and diaphram part and still no oil?
What should I do next?
Thanks for the help.

Old 01-28-04, 01:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure the passages are clear...going from the oiler to the chain and from the crankcase to the diaphragm.

Old 01-28-04, 05:22 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Just to show my lack of knowledge on this subject where are the passages you mentioned? The line form the oiler is new and it goes from the oiler to the side case where the bar bolts to, this is clear as it is all new. The crankcase to the oiler has no line it's just an open resivoir for the oil with a felt covered opening to the oiler!
What am I missing?

Old 01-28-04, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Squirt some carb cleaner through the line going to the bar to make sure it exits at the oiler orifice. If so, then the diaphragm isn't pumping. The line for the oiler is on one side of the diaphragm, and the crankcase pressure passage should be on the piece that covers the other side of the diaphragm. It could be a small hole in the cast piece of metal. It should match to a hole on the other mating surface. This hole should go to the crankcase either via hose, or most likely just a cast-in passage. Make sure the diaphragm is positioned correctly. It could have a hole off to the side that needs to match up with the hole in the case to allow the pressure pulses to go through to the diaphragm. If it is turned the wrong way, it can block off that passage. I'm not entirely sure that is the way yours is made, but it's a good possibility. Also make sure the felt allows oil to wick through it.

Old 01-29-04, 06:32 AM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Thanks Cheese I'll check this out this weekend and let you know how I make out. Thanks again!