Best engine to put on snowblower

Old 01-26-04, 06:09 AM
Tools
Visiting Guest
Best engine to put on snowblower

Whats the best 8 to 12 HP engine to put on a snowblower,had a 7 HP tecumseh last yr,broke a rod,replaced it,ran good for 10 hrs and broke it again.Bought a used Sno-trac with 8HP tecumseh,it had a broken rod when i got it so thought i would get a new rod and fix it but after reading on the net it seems tecumseh has a history of broken rods.Whats your take on this.Looks like one cant buy a new snowblower of any make without it haveing a tecumseh engine except Honda.Ran Briggs engines all my life on grain augers,water pumps,small power plants and never in 40 yrs broke a rod,even when a Briggs was wore out,so is this a real problem with Tecumseh?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Tools!

This may be a sore subject to many people. Kind of like asking wether to buy a ford or chevy. Some people like one and think the other is junk, and visa-versa. You have seen for yourself what kind of problems are occurring with these engines, and I would agree with your observation. It has been my personal observation as well. Briggs has not been after the snowblower market until recently. Tecumseh is the one who has been building engines designed for snowblower use for years. Briggs has only just started building engines more suited to that application. Honda would be an excellent choice, but they tend to be hard to start in freezing weather. A Briggs OHV Intek would fit the bill if you don't want to go back with tecumseh. Robin/Subaru makes an excellent engine also...better than the average consumer grade engine and is not much higher in price.

Old 01-27-04, 05:44 PM
re: best engine

Hello Tools:

Despite the complaints about Tecumseh engines, one must take it all with a grain of salt. Snowblowers and lawnmowers are the MOST abused and poorly maintained product in most households.

A good friend of mine has a 35 yr old 8 HP Ariens that is still running well as it's always had regualr oil changes and was never run flat out all the time--a mistake most make.

My machine is 25 yrs old and while I had to do other work on bearings etc, runs strong. I'll probably rebuild the enging this spring as I do see a faint puff of blue smoke when starting (and we all know what that indicates,) but it's still better than my neighbor's 3 yr old MTD--a machine he now tells me he never changed or even added oil to.

My biggest complaint about the Tecumseh is the recoil starter. They have been know to be problematic for years and are indeed inferior to the Briggs system. They really are junk.

I've repaired mine as much as I can but it will need replacement. Am holding off now as I do have the electric start and don't want to spend the $48 for a replacement but do like the option of restarting a warm engine without running 400 ft of electrical cord if I am at the end of the drive.

That said, I'd go for Honda in a NY minute if they had an engine made for snowblowers. Even with electric start they are hard to get going in sub-zero temperatures.

Good Luck,

Snowman53

Old 02-01-04, 09:32 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
Re: re: best engine

Originally posted by Snowman53
... spring as I do see a faint puff of blue smoke when starting (and we all know what that indicates,) but it's still better than my neighbor's 3 yr old MTD--a machine he now tells me he never changed or even added oil to.
I just picked up a 1976 Mastercarft snowblower with a Briggs and Stratton engine, I had it tuned up and he said that when you start it it will have a puff of blue smoke but will clear up in a second.

Search this Thread