Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TORO Snowblower Carb Issues

Visiting Guest

01-26-04, 06:05 PM   #1  
fwl
TORO Snowblower Carb Issues

I have recently purchased a used TORO Snow Master 20 snowblower and have a couple of issues with it. This is one of those small 3 hp two cycle models. When I attempt to blow any decent amount of snow, many times the engine will stall. I found that if I hit the primer button before it stalls, then it picks up again so I am sure it is starving on fuel. The second issue just happened and is when the temperature dropped to minus 20 celcius, at one point the engine rpm's are very low and will not increase even with no load. I lifted the blower and dropped it down to see if something was stuck and the rpms jumped up but not to full rpm's. Something else that I noticed was I do not need the choke to start this machine. A couple of pumps on the primer and it starts right up so that also indicates a carb problem of some kind.

There are two carb adjustment screws exposed through the cover. If anyone know what each screw is for and how to adjust them it would also be appreciate.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-27-04, 12:04 AM   #2  
Hello fwl!

I am not a snowblower expert, but it does sound like you need a carburetor cleaning and possibly a kit. The two screws you mentioned, if side by side, are the high and low speed adjustment screws. The low speed adjustment screw changes the air to fuel mixture at idle and is the screw closest to the engine. The high speed screw does the same at full throttle and is the screw closest to the air intake end of the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

01-27-04, 08:45 PM   #3  
pops64
You could also have moisture in your fuel--icing at low temps. Some could come from humid air condensing in storage. Heet fuel additive is the usual treatment.

Visiting Guest

01-28-04, 05:03 AM   #4  
buttlint
fwl,

-20 degrees is pretty freaking cold for a 25 year old snowmaster too do its stuff.

On a warm day (32 degrees) a couple of primes without choking is perfectly normal for those. You start talking minus 20....you are out of my league of experience. If it runs normal at 10 degrees I would say that its just the extreme cold,and that it just isn't its reaching its full operating temperature.

But then how would I know? I live in an area where if it got that cold, I would ball up into a fetal position, pull the blankets over my head and not come out until I heard the robins chirping.

Visiting Guest

01-28-04, 09:08 AM   #5  
fwl
Another question on the high speed adjustment screw. These engines run at one speed so how do you adjust the high speed setting?

01-28-04, 02:57 PM   #6  
re: toro issues

Hello fwl:

Welcome to the forum! No, I'm not a moderator here, just a friendly guy.

OK..as Cheese and others suggested a carb cleaning may be in order.

Also, are you certain you are using the correct fuel/oil mixture?

My brother was complaining about an Echo trimmer I gave him, said it was hard to start. Turned out he was using twice the oil/gas ratio that is recommended.

Also, make sure you are using a bit of drygas AND a fuel stabiliser like "Stabil." A good friend of mine is a physicist who studies various fossil fuels and he has told me more than once that current fuel formulations are such that it starts to break down in under 30 days.

Ohhh... I'm guessing buttlint will not wnat to come here for Winterfest in February when temps can often be -40 or -50 for about two weeks.

Cheerio,

Snowman53
Moral? Always use FRESH fuel and always use a stabiliser.

That said, a three HP plus 2 cycle engine can be VERY difficult to start in subzero temps.

-20 celsius is -4 farenheit. Not that cold in my opinion but makes it tough to start a two stroke.

I'll NEVER forget my first 2 stroke motorcycle. It was a 1969 Bultaco Metralla race bike with a kick starter on the left rather than the right side of the bike. In the summer of '71 the lads would come over and take turns kicking it over with breaks for beer until it started--usually a 20 minute process.

Once it started though it ran like a DEMON and I was off for an hour and then really ready for a cold one.

Visiting Guest

01-28-04, 03:36 PM   #7  
buttlint
Snowman,
What? It's 10 degrees farenhiet here and it makes me whine like a little baby-man.

fwl,
To adjust the high speed, start at one turn out from lightly seated. With the top cover off, I take a screw driver and over ride the governor by opening the throttle plate. If it runs smooth at that high speed and doesnt die in the snow its okay. If after the unit is warmed up, and it doesnt start on the first pull, or it hesitates before it reaches it's full rpm, I give an extra 1/4-1/8 turn. If it hasnt had the diaphram replaced since it was new, its about 20 years overdue for one. Those units have points, but you usually dont have to mess with them unless you dont have spark. (pia if you dont need them and generally not a concern with a tune up) hope this helps. 'lint.

CANADA

01-28-04, 06:56 PM   #8  
Okay guys
Since we're talking about temperatures now.....here in Winnipeg it is now -35C and with the windchill it is -50.
Get ready for that fetal position buttlint.

But it's a DRY COLD......lol

snoman

Search this Thread