Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

coils and modules

Visiting Guest

01-27-04, 06:33 AM   #1  
jlm
coils and modules

I'm trying to find a tester that will check electronic modules and magnetos with points and condenser for spark on all types of small engines. Chainsaw coils, Briggs , Kohler and such. Does anyone use a tester now? Basically I just replace the part in question but I would like to know if it really needs to be replaced.

Sponsored Links

01-27-04, 07:28 AM   #2  
Jlm, there are testers out there on the market, but the problem with the said testers, is that they do not read a heat related failure on modules. I worked in the service dept. for the Husqvarna distributorship, and we received many ignition modules and coils for warranty..however they(90%) tested good. The most common failure I have seen, is that they work until they get warm and then quit. Once again, the testers say they are good. I typically keep a box of "tester" (kept off used torn down units) coils and ignitions that I try on the machines when I am trouble shooting...

Visiting Guest

01-27-04, 09:54 AM   #3  
jlm
DennisG: Ya I've run into the same thing. But you would think someone makes a good tester to be sure if the part your dealing with is good or not. Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread