Good old Ariens

Old 01-27-04, 04:33 PM
SCHMITTY
Visiting Guest
Good old Ariens

Hi,
I have an old HM80......ariens snowblower. I've cleaned the highspeed needle as noted in other thread(thanks).
Starts great but revs unitl it soulds like it will explode. I noticed the the even if a move the throttle lever on the carb....nothing happens(no increase or decrease in speed).

Hard to set the idel speed if i can't get to idle.
Any thoughts,
Thanks
Schmitty

Great solid machine!!!!!

Old 01-27-04, 04:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have a governor problem. Are you sure that you are adjusting that which will move the throttle plate inside the carb?? If you are adjusting that lever which is hooked to the throttle cable and it doesn't change engine speed then your governor isn't working properly.

Old 01-27-04, 05:32 PM
SCHMITTY
Visiting Guest
Jughead...thanks for you fast reply!

yes..i have unhooked the throttle cable and moved that lever with no results.

What do i do to check the govenor...how to re-set or oem settings. Not very good with function of govenor.

schmitty

Old 01-27-04, 06:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I could be that the governor is just mis-adjusted or stuck. Inside the carb will be two plates. The outside plate will be hooked to the choke (if you have that kind of choke) and the inside plate is the throttle. There will be a lever assembly that moves the throttle plate inside the carburator. Make sure that you can adjust the engine speed when you move that assembly. If the governor is stuck you may have difficulty moving it. There should be a lever hooked to the governor shaft on one end and the other end should have a rod that goes to the carb. When you are at idle throttle and ready to start the engine the governor will be holding the throttle at a full open position. You should be able to see that by looking inside the carb and see the throttle plate in the full open position allowing the maximum amount of air to go to the engine. When the engine starts the governor should then retard the throttle to the speed set by the throttle cable. In effect, the governor fly weights are balanced by the tension on a spring. If the governor is stuck, you will have to tear the engine apart to fix it. Most likely the governor is just misadjusted and the arm has slipped on the governor shaft. You should set the throttle to the start/idle position and adjust the arm on the governor shaft (shaft coming out of the engine) until the throttle just goes to full open and there is just a little tension on the spring. That should give you about the right setting for the governor and you should have a reasonable idle speed.

Old 01-28-04, 01:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello SCHMITTY!

Make sure the carb throttle shaft is not stuck. Sometimes they get gummed up and just need cleaning. If it is stuck wide open (usually where they stick because that's where they default when the engine is shut down), then it will overrev like that.

Old 01-28-04, 08:48 PM
SCHMITTY
Visiting Guest
Thanks....as usual.....best info out there...kudos!!!
Carb shaft stuck........lots of cleaner.....bang on!

Must say...you guys fixed my lawnmover so i knew who to ask and i now like carbs!

schmitty

Old 01-29-04, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Good job! Glad we could help, and thanks for the Kudos!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: