Craftsman Snowblower - Model 536.885201

Old 01-29-04, 05:40 PM
Willem
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Craftsman Snowblower - Model 536.885201

Afew days ago I tried to start the blower without success. It started to rough and finally shot down. I tried to start, buit was unsuccessful. I tried the following:
- Empty the gas and the bulb of any gas
-Filled with new gas
- Changed the sparkplug

I have only used it for about 5-6 times in three years. It started to run rough last snow fall. IT appeared to idel down and reduce the power to through the snow. The diaphram that primes the engine prior to the start is collapsed. I can bring to normal maually by pulling it out to the expandewd position, but it continues to go back.

I am not sure if it is getting gas or spark.

Frustrated !

Gene

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-04, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Gene!

Remove the spark plug and connect it to the plug wire. Lay it on the engine so that the metal of the plug is touching metal on the engine. Try to start it while watching the plug for spark. If you have no spark, then we know where to begin looking. If you do have spark, then drip some gas into the plug hole and reinstall the plug. Try to start it again. If it starts and runs for a second and then dies, then we know you have a fuel problem.

Old 01-30-04, 10:51 AM
Willem
Visiting Guest
CraftsMan Snowthrower

Thanks Cheese, I shopuld have thought of that. I have tried the spark test and there is spark which leaves gas. It does not try and start with gas in the hole of the spark plug. I have removed the bolw and cleaned all gas from it. I then added fresh fuel with same result. The prime diaphram is OK as I have have taken it off and checked for leaks. Also cleaned the line under the tank.

Help !

Gene

Old 01-31-04, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the engine have compression? Could be a valve stuck open. When you tried starting it with fuel in the plug hole, was the choke on or off? Should be off during this test.

Old 01-31-04, 11:38 AM
Willem
Visiting Guest
Wink Crafsman Snowthrower

Cheese:

I think I have found the issue. Lasy night I took the gas hose off from the tank and used a small baskeball pump and lightly blew air pressure through the line. I re-assemble and tried to start the norman way. It started and ran for only a few seconds. This was repeatable. I concluded that the system had bad gas and was clogged. The system needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Do you agree.

Thanks again,

Gene

Old 02-01-04, 02:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. Sounds like you need to clean the carb and check the fuel lines and make sure you have a good flow of fuel from the tank to the carb.