Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Snowblower Engine problem.

MN

02-02-04, 03:25 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Snowblower Engine problem.

Hey guys, I just got an old snowblower from my bro in law which was "working" when I got it. It worked for awhile then whenever it started it would idle very high and kill, sometimes shooting flames out of the exhaust.

It has the idle going left to right closest to the handles and to the left and down I believe is the choke.

There are 2 screws that I believe I changed enough and it did the same thing every time. Idling up like a banshee and killing.

It is a 5hp tecumseh. model hs50
those last 2 numbers were on there too.

I would appreciate any info you guys can give me as I don't know jack about snowblowers.

thanks!!!

Sponsored Links

CANADA

02-02-04, 06:27 PM   #2  
snowdogg
There are a number of things that you should look at to determine what the problem might be. first off you should remove the heat shroud (that's the one covering the carb and the throttle/choke controls) This way you can see if anything is visually wrong. Check the governor linkage (with the throttle in the off position) it should move back and forth very freely. Also check to see if the governor spring has been modified (stretched) for that can also cause higher revs. If it is stretched....replace it.
You can also check to see if the idle setting screw is set too far in causing it to idle (as you were saying) too high.
At the bottom of the carb, going through the float bowl, there will be a brass nut with a screw going through the center of it. That's your high speed screw. Tighten it in til it stops (don't crank it in really hard cause you can damage the tip of the screw) and then turn it counter clockwise 1 1/4 turns. This is usually enough to get your engine started.
Chances are that you will have to do a rebuild on the carb due to a possibility of bad gas sitting in there too long and plugging up the carb.
Let me know how you do.

snoman

MN

02-03-04, 11:13 PM   #3  
thanks snoman,
My brother in law brought over a different carb because I guess the one on there is from a tiller.

He installed it and it seems to be running fine now.

The only problem now is I throw it in gear and it pops out right away.

What kind of info do you need to start me on setting this up so it stays in gear!!

thanks!!

CANADA

02-04-04, 04:54 PM   #4  
Well first I'd need the make of machine, type of drive system it uses. How many forwards and reverses it has. Is it a lever that you push forward to go or is it a handle that you depress an so on.
The more info you can give me so I can try to visualize it in my wee little brain the better.

snoman

MN

02-09-04, 04:34 PM   #5  
Hey snoman, I sent you a pm asking if you would like some pics emailed to you as I took a bunch.

Its just 1 gear forward and R.

CANADA

02-09-04, 07:22 PM   #6  
snowdogg
Sorry about that but I totally forgot about checking my pm"s. I just changed my options so when I get a pm I will be notified. I sent you a pm also.
thanks

anoman

MN

02-09-04, 08:01 PM   #7  
thanks snoman, pics emailed!

CANADA

02-13-04, 09:49 AM   #8  
snowdogg
You have a PM.

snoman

MN

12-08-04, 03:45 PM   #9  
hey guys and snoman, I know this is far after my first post but I finally got around to the blower.

I flipped it upside down and saw that the plate with 2 holes on each side for teh fwd adn rev gears one side(fwd) is ground out which would totally explain why it won't go into gear.

Any clue if I could get this part?

thanks again

CANADA

12-08-04, 07:01 PM   #10  
snowdogg
You have 2 choices....first, hopefully you can still get parts but you'd have to give us the model and make of the blower.
Second, is it a part that you can fabricate or repair?

snoman

MN

12-08-04, 07:54 PM   #11  
Thanks snoman, I will pm you a url with a bunch of pics in a sec here.

I'm sure I could machine this part if I can't find it but I'm thinking it might be better to find a nicer used one somewhere as I could get the $100 i paid for this one back.

MN

12-14-04, 05:03 PM   #12  
hey snoman!! did you get those pics?

let me know as I'm not sure if this part can be found

Thanks!!

CANADA

12-15-04, 02:50 PM   #13  
snowdogg
Sorry about that....yes I did get the pics and man that's one old blower. I'd almost say to get your $100.00 back and get something a little newer. Maybe a mid 70's Ariens....you won't be disappointed. They can usually be found fairly decently priced.
Sometimes you just gotta let the old puppy go.

snoman

Search this Thread