Craftsman snowblower shearpin

Old 02-05-04, 05:09 AM
cubzilla
Visiting Guest
Question Craftsman snowblower shearpin

I own a Craftsman snowblower with an 11 horse engine. Well yesterday I sheared off the pin but I don't know where to put the new one on? Anyone give me a hand in this matter? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 09:21 AM
Cheese or Snowman will reply to your message soon.

Old 02-05-04, 12:59 PM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Usually they go thru the auger shaft. You should be able to see where the broken one came out of. The shafts will have to be turned by hand to align the thru holes. Use a pinch and hammer to tap the broken part out and then push in the new one and attach the nut to other end and tighten.

Old 02-05-04, 01:19 PM
cubzilla
Visiting Guest
shearpin

Maybe the shearpin isnt the problem Im having, I was throwing snow the other day with now problem when all of a sudden it stopped, I pulled it out of the snow and it started blowing again until I went foward into the pile again and it stopped. The auger is turning until I try to blow snow more then 3 inches then it quits.

Old 02-05-04, 01:31 PM
I tried blowing some real wet, heavy show the other day and my blower did the same thing. The chute was all plugged up and I couldn't get anything thru it. I had all kinds of ice plugging things up. I couldn't get the blower to work right until I got it thawed out. Are the belts loose??

Old 02-05-04, 02:06 PM
cubzilla
Visiting Guest

This machine doesnt have any belts, its all gear driven. If it has belts where would I find them? I dont see any on the machine.

Old 02-05-04, 02:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
This Subject Has Been Merged.

Hello: cubzilla

Please use the reply button to post any and all additional information pertaining to the original question.

Do not use the ask a new question button since this is a continuation of your original question on the same equipment.

Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Doing so also makes it much easier for everyone reading and replying to your question to follow along.

Old 02-05-04, 03:58 PM
cubzilla
First check your augers to see if and what one is sheared. To do this, shut off the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire.(safety first) then go to each auger and try to turn each one. If the pins are good, then they should not turn. You will have one in each auger. Usually the shear pin is a very low grade 5/16-18 bolt. The shear bolt should be noticable on the auger.
With the problem that you're having about blowing 3" of snow but not any deeper it could be because the auger will spin under little or no load but when the real snow load comes in, it will just spin.

snoman

Old 02-05-04, 04:51 PM
cubzilla
Visiting Guest
loose belts

Today I pulled the front piece off and yes there are 2 belts. The belt that moves the auger is very loose. How tight should this belt be? And if it suppose to be tight how do I tighten this belt up? I checked all the shear pins and they are all cool.

Old 02-05-04, 06:45 PM
Depending on your drive system the auger belt should be loose until you engage the auger drive system then it should be tight. You can test this yourself with the machine not running and engaging the system. The other is for the wheel drive and also depending on the system it can either be loose or tight.

snoman

Old 02-05-04, 08:17 PM
cubzilla
Visiting Guest
Even with the auger belt engaged it is very loose, how would I go about tightning it up a bit?

Old 02-05-04, 10:55 PM
There could be an idler pulley that will engage the belt and make it tight. The drive pulley itself could be movable and be used to take up the slack in the belt. Look at the pulleys that touch the belt and examine how they are mounted on the frame and look for one that will move to take up the slack in the belt. Usually on of them will have a slot where the mounting bolt can be moved. It's also possible that if the belt is worn and/or stretched that you can't take up enough slack to get it tight enough to prevent slipping. If that's the case your only option will be to replace the belt.