5 HP Tecumseh won't start

Old 02-05-04, 09:58 AM
gastone
Visiting Guest
5 HP Tecumseh won't start

1978 ariens sno-thrower with tecumseh hs50-67008B won"t start. Just replaced carb due to fuel never being run out for storage. With New carb set at 11/4 out on hispeed and 1 out on idle mix I can't get it to start. I went per factory repair manual . Plug is wet and spark is good. Compression blows finger off when cranked. Had wrong oil 30w for past yrs, changed to 5w30. Tried with fuel cap off, no luck. After 3-4 pulls it fires and dies. I tried with the throttle in the closed posistion, full choke and it kept running for aprox 5-6 seconds , then died. This is the 2nd carb I've repaced on this engine (1st 1996). I didn't have any trouble getting the first to run, and no trouble adjusting it. Am I missing a step??? Note: at the end of 2002 season, engine was starting and running strong!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 12:53 PM
jlm
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a clogged carb. to me.

Old 02-05-04, 04:06 PM
gastone
When you say "new" carb is it actually brand new never used or just a different one from what you had before?
If it's just a new used one then I would give the carb a good cleaning first and also if haven't already, get rid of the gas that's in the tank and start with "fresh" gas that you know is recent. Not the stuff that was sitting around since october.....The only reason I'm saying about the gas from october is that alot of people tell me their gas is good when in essence it is one of the main culprits.
The settings you have are good enough to get the machine started, but there is one other thing to check and that is on the high speed needle nut. There is a tiny orifice near the top of it when you remove it. It's approx .020 so it can be hidden very easily. It has to be clear.
Let me know how you do.

snoman