Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor & Mower Questions

02-08-04, 01:46 PM   #1  
mower for grampa

My grampa wanted me to ask ya'll if a twin cylinder briggs would last any longer than a single cylinder briggs? He has been looking at riding mowers in the 16 to 20 hp range for years. He just can't seem to get himself to buy a mower, which brings up a second question for you guys, what is the best lawn mower for him? Here is a list of features that he wants on his riding mower: it has to be a lawn tractor but not a garden tractor, 16-20 hp twin cylinder engine with oil filter and cast iron sleeves, 42" to maybe 48" deck with only two blades and no electric blade clutch it has to be a manual lever to enguage the blades cause he thinks they are more reliable, grease zerks on every posible thing known to man, manual transmission(maybe a hydrostatic but he is convinced that they aren't reliable), cruise control on the mower, easy on gas, top quality, easy to get parts, and his price limit is at most $2500!!!!!!!! Can someone please tell me a mower that fits that list?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! He has an old murray which has lasted him 30 years and another murray which is a 16 hp twin cylinder garden tractor that has lasted his 22 years. He is used to the prices on mowers from the 1960's and when I started showing his all the mowers from different companies he seemed interested but soon became shocked at the prices, these mowers only went for a couple thousand dollars. So could someone please give me some ideas to give to him so this elusive mower search will finally come to an end. Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

02-08-04, 04:57 PM   #2  
Great questions. I have looked at John Deer's site many times in my lifetime and have allways found greate prices on there equipment. I don't think they make 20HP or 16HP manual transmition. Yes I agree the manual is more reliable, but because hydrostatic is more convenient, they put them on all there more costly models. There website is belo and you can find all the information on there equipment you are looking for. I recomend the John Deer LT160 42C Lawn Tractor

www.JohnDeer.net

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-08-04, 10:16 PM   #3  
Hello Mower!

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of answers to this. In my experience, for the price range you listed, sears craftsman will be about the best value for the money. The blade bearings aren't greasable, but they aren't on most any other new mower either, and the sealed bearings on the craftsman normally last much longer than those on most other low to medium end mowers.

The hydro is actually more reliable than the standard, unless you get the large tranny with Hi/lo selection, and then it's a draw.

Opposed twin or intek twin briggs last about as long as the single cylinder briggs engines with proper care. The vangaurd briggs engines last virtually forever. It will probably outlast the machine it is bolted to. They have pressure lube and filter and cast iron sleeves.

Sears also uses a hand-lever hydro control. You set it at the speed desired and go. No pedal to keep pushed. If you need to stop, just hit the brake/clutch pedal, and it stops and the tranny goes back to neutral. It is cruise control by design.

There are other mowers out there, and you might find one you like better, but I don't think you'll go wrong with the craftsman.

oh yeah...electric pto rarely gives trouble unless you have bearings going bad. Bad bearings in the deck makes the belt hard to turn and the PTO clutch gets hot. That's when problems arise.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-14-04, 03:54 PM   #4  
I am curious, what did you end up getting for him?

03-14-04, 09:21 PM   #5  
My grampa is waiting for his mower to go bad before he buys a new one but he is constantly looking at the new ones. In my neck of the woods, I have mowed the yard once and about to go for the second mowing so nothing really had time to break on anyones mower yet. As long as his mower doesn't need a costly repair, he will keep it running. I am trying to convince his to get a craftsman mower since I am pleased with mine and from a mechanical point of view, any part can be ordered without any trouble and it can be shipped straight to his house.

03-15-04, 07:46 PM   #6  
Didn't you used to be a moderator in this forum. If so, why did you leave?

03-28-04, 12:21 AM   #7  
Sorry for the late responce. I have never been a moderator but I used to frequent this site several times a day. The reason why I haven't been here lately is cause I haven't worked on any small engines in quite a while and also because I have been buissy with looking for a job. I am getting close to finishing my vo-tech schooling and it's time to work. I went and put in my application at the local case/kubota/mahindra tractor dealership last week. About the smallest thing they work on is kubota lawn mowers. These mowers are the professional landscaper models that are zero turning and have 30 or 40 hp diesel liquid cooled engines. Now if I would work at the john deere dealership it would be a different story cause they work on mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, etc... But they have a mechanic specifically for small engines and four wheelers, the tractor mechanics are different people so either way I probably won't be touching any small engines where ever I work. Lately I have been at some of the tractor forums and every once in a while I will scroll through this one and read up on a few topics. I am sure the next time I get puzzled I will post a question about something on here. For the past few weeks at school I have been working on a 10,000 pound capacity fork lift that hasn't been touched in at least 20 years so it has taken up a lot of my time, but every once in a while I remember when I would fix a pushmower and all I had to do was clean the carburetor and it gave me so much satisfaction when it started and I couldn't help but stand there and smile. I plan on visiting this site more often like I used to, I learned a good bit just by reading everyone's replies. Well, I hope that explained my absence.

03-28-04, 12:30 AM   #8  
I am prowed of what you have acomplished, and what your about to. As I see it, your doing great. I rememebr you quite a bit in this forum. Everyone who sticks around does too. We would love to answer to questions you post. You allways interesting posts Were allways here to answer any small engine question you bring up!

FL

03-28-04, 07:46 AM   #9  
I've got a 21hp craftsman, 48" twin blade deck, hydrostatic transmission. I think the only things it doesn't have on your list are zerks on the blade spindles (sealed units) and an oil filter.

FWIW, my trans does not go to neutral when you hit the brake, it stays at the speed you set (and I am glad for it). I rarely use the brake though, I just pull the lever back to stop.

I believe it was $1498 when I got it about 2 years ago, the manual trans model was about $300 less.

As for John Deere, the last SMALL JD lawn mower I looked at was $9000 (gasp!). I'll buy a cheap car and just run over the grass before I spend 9 large on a lawn mower!
It did have hydraulic steering though, which was nice.

03-28-04, 11:51 AM   #10  
You can find a John Deer lawn tractor in the 100 series section for only 2500. And thats like 23HP with alot of great options for ya. More than you need LOL.

Last edited by Terminator20; 03-29-04 at 01:00 AM.

Search this Thread