Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Won't Turn Off

Visiting Guest

02-09-04, 10:13 AM   #1  
GTScott
3.75HP Briggs-Stratton Won't Turn Off

I apologize if this is going in the wrong place, but i did not see anywhere more specific for small engine issues.

I have a 3.75HP Briggs and Stratton motor with my Craftsman Clean and Carry 2300 psi Pressure Washer. I have probably used the thing 4 times and it has developed a problem. The engine RPM is changed by a small lever that has a kill, slow, and fast. When I put it in kill, it idles pretty low but will not actually turn off. It seems like some contact is not being made. Do these engines turn off by grounding or is there something else I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

02-09-04, 01:37 PM   #2  
Hello: Scott

I moved your question to provide you with the professional help in this small engine forum. No apology on your part needed.

Yes. Grounding the ignition system is the way the engine dies or shuts off. There should be a grounding clip where the throttle lever will come into contact with the clip.

The grounding clip will have a wire attached to it so it should be easy to identify. An adjustment to the levers travel distance may be required, the clip is bent, lose, wire not connected, etc.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair. "Accurate Power Equipment Company."

Visiting Guest

02-09-04, 02:35 PM   #3  
GTScott
Thanks for moving this, I must have overlooked this one in the LONG list.

I will take the air filter off today or tomorrow and try to snap a picture of what i am dealing with. The point that I assumed it was grounding to had been covered in grease. I *thought* that cleaning that might help, but it didn't.

Thanks for your help!
Scott

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-09-04, 07:18 PM   #4  
Hello Scott!

There should be a plastic clip attatched to the backside of the bracket with the throttle lever attatched to it. It should have a thin black wire connected to the clip. Also there should be a brass tab coming from the clip. When you move the throttle to "stop", it should contact that brass tab and ground the coil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-10-04, 05:15 AM   #5  
GTScott
Cheese-
Thanks for the information. I recall the wire that you are talking about. I will pull the air filter off tonight and take a look at it. I think you are onto something.

Thanks!
Scott

Visiting Guest

02-13-04, 12:32 PM   #6  
GTScott
Following a few days of delay, I finally got to looking at my pressure washer. I removed the air filter and can't see exactly what the problem could be. I see a small block that it appears the throttle lever would be in contact with when the lever is turned to the off position. The large black spring also seems to come close to coming into contact with the frame when in the off position. I took a picture of it and threw on some labels. Is anyone able to make sense of this? I have some better pics if they would help.

I only have 3 more months to get this figured out

Thanks for all of your help!
-Scott
Here is the image:
Pressure Washer Switch Area

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-13-04, 07:16 PM   #7  
Ok, where you show the ground point is correct. This is a different engine than I thought...I figured you had a horizontal shaft engine instead of this vertical one. Near the "R" in "larger" where you labeled "larger spring" is the part of the throttle control that should contact the grounding point. When you turn the throttle far enough to contact that tab, it should shut off. If not, check to be sure the small black wire that connects to that grounding point is there and connected. Also, make sure the throttle is actually contacting the metal tab that should be sticking up above that clip where it grounds. I can't tell if it is sticking up like it should be from your pic, or not.

If still no luck, remove the black engine cover/shroud and look at the coil. That is where the other end of the tiny black wire should be connected. You can follow it to the grounding clip and see what is going on from there. All that happens when you kill the engine is the black wire gets grounded by the throttle lever when it turns far enough to contact it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread