B&S engine speed

Old 02-12-04, 09:22 AM
wesb
Visiting Guest
B&S engine speed

I recently bought a walk-behind 'Bolens' with a B&S engine. There is no throttle control at all. The mower will start, but runs at a very slow RPM. I can move the governor and speed it up, but it goes back and even stops often. There appears to be no linkage at all around the carb. How can I increase the idle speed?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-04, 12:33 PM
You can increase the speed by tightening up on the governor spring a little bit at a time.

Old 02-12-04, 07:20 PM
fordv10f1
Visiting Guest
Smile

If you don't want to mess with shortening the spring, which does work, there is a place called manufatures supply. Just type that into your search engine and look for briggs governor springs on the sight. It is a large selection and should provide you with a good spring for about $22. Watch out for overspeeding! Good luck on your speed problem! P.S. I set my 3.5 HP Briggs at about 4 grand, but I'm in the horsepower game!
If it can be turbocharged I'll do it! Turbocharging Kohler K-series now. Very intersting to do you ought to try it!

Old 02-12-04, 09:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wesb!

I don't know which engine you have, but look at the governor linkage. There should be a spring connected to a loop in that linkage. The other end of the spring should be connected to a metal tab. To adjust engine speed, bend this tab in a direction that stretches the spring more to increase speed, or bend it to relieve spring tension to decrease speed.