solenold

Old 02-23-04, 02:17 PM
solenold

Hello guys
I have a craftsman lawn tractor with a 12hp briggs engine about 5 years old.How do you check the solenold,switch,starter etc. The problem i am having is some times it will turn over and sometimes it won't.If you wait a week it will not.Checked battery voltage is good new battery.All grounds and all connections are sanded and clean.All help will be greatly received.Thanks again mowerman.Ps bypassed all safety switches too see if that was the problem.Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello mowerman!

On the solenoid, there should be one or two small wires plugged onto the side of it near the base. If it has one wire, it should show 12 volts when the key is turned to start. If it does, and the solenoid doesn't click, then it is bad. If the solenoid does click, then check for 12volts at the starter cable. If you have 12volts there, starter problem. If you have 2 wires at the solenoid, one of them has 12volts as described previously, and the other is a ground. Make sure the ground wire has continuity to ground.

Old 02-23-04, 04:35 PM
I've seen solenoids that were internally grounded not work because their mounting bolts were rusted and/or loose. Sometimes the metal brackets holding the solenoid are just plain broke and only make contact once in a while. That can, indeed, cause intermittant starting problems. I've even seen the solenoid itself be good but there was an "island" of rusted metal around where it was mounted that didn't conduct electricity like it should. Of course, the solenoid itself could be intermittant.

Old 02-23-04, 06:10 PM
Another thing I want you to check is your keyswitch. On my lawn tractor as Cheese can well remember, the keyswitch became faulty. It was both rusty outside and in because the previous owner allways kep it outside. After changing the setup and rewiring the silenoid, my engine became operable again. If your keyswitch looks rusty, go ahead and replace it and that may fix your problems. Keyswitches are very affordable. You can get one for 10 bucks if I remember right.

Old 02-25-04, 03:05 PM
re: starting problem

Hello Mowerman:

I'm happy to say bit may be a few months before I have to mow--but the lawnmowers and tractor are ready.

Anyway...when it does not start what happens? Do you hear a click? Or is it a whirring, whiny sound?

If it's the latter-- and the starter is turning but not engaging the flywheel it's most likely a bendix issue, and generally easlily resolved.

The bendix shaft and spring can get dirty. A bit of cleaning in that area is always a good idea anyway.

There should be a small removeable cover on or near the starter that gives access. If you can't find it let me know and I'll post a pic for a Briggs or provide a link.

If you hear NOTHING when you turn the key when it won't start. look for ignition or keyswitch issues--as others have already suggested.

Good Luck,

Snowman53

Old 02-25-04, 03:40 PM
solenoid

Hello guys
mowerman again thanks for the replies. when the weather breaks i will try all the suggestions.

Old 03-14-04, 03:43 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I am curious to know what you did.

Old 03-16-04, 05:36 PM
Smile solenoid

Hello terminator20
I checked all the connections again.I ended up changing the solenoid.It has been cranking ever sense.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-16-04, 06:56 PM
Glad you got it fixed