Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

K301S Kohler

Visiting Guest

02-24-04, 06:38 PM   #1  
papermoon_bg2
K301S Kohler

12 hp K301S kohler is in model 7112 Simplicity lawn tractor. A few days ago engine cranked and ran good for aboyt 7-8 minutes then just cut off. It is electric start so I triied to restart but no electical activity of any sort occurred (headlights would not burn, engine would not turn over , no sarter solenoid click) Engine was totally dead. Approx. 3-4 minutes later engine restarted and ran about 3 minutes cutoff again with exact same dead electrical system as before. It did this about 4 more times before I finally got back to garage to storage area. Tractor is a 1985 model. Any insight on where problem may be. Tractor has a hydrostatic transmission. Any info, tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

02-24-04, 08:37 PM   #2  
Its sounds like you either have a problem with your coil or your silenoid. The reason I think susspect the coil is because of how it will start up then die, then give it some time and it will run again and die even faster than the last. That sounds like a coil issue. However you have described another issue as well. You mentioned that at times the engine won't even turn, you don't even here a click and your headlights don't even burn. This sounds like a silenoid issue. However, because batteries that go bad are known to give intermitent battery juice. It could be that you have a bad battery. The first thing I would do is test your battery for 12 volts or higher. If it reads in that range, your battery is good. If it is good, I would check out your silenoid. I would also check to make sure that you don't have any corosion or rusty terminals. Including the keyswitch. Make sure everything is clean in there. Cheese is our forum moderator and expert in these mattors, he will give you detailed information regarding this matter.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-25-04, 12:09 AM   #3  
Hello Papermoon!

Have you checked your battery connections? Sounds to me like you have a loose or corroded connection. Make sure the cables at the battery terminals are clean and tight, Then check them at the other ends for the same. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

02-25-04, 04:26 PM   #4  
papermoon_bg2
Thank you for all your knowledge and suggestions. I will try these over the w/e. Once again thank you !

03-14-04, 03:45 PM   #5  
How did it go. Did everything work out alright?

09-26-06, 12:07 PM   #6  
Dear Kohler

Did you have any luck in getting your 7112 running? Just this weekend I had similar problem....ran for 10 minutes and cut off. There was no reaction from key turn and no re-start. Hope you are up and running....if you solved your issue I would be interested in hearing what it was and how you fixed it.
Thank you. Nick1

Search this Thread