Chainsaw Troubles

Old 02-28-04, 04:01 AM
Chainsaw Troubles

To get my saw chain to "bite" into anything, its almost like I have to make all of my cuts at an angle. I replaced the bar not too long ago because I thought mabe it was twisted, therefore making me cut on an angle, but that didn't seem to help.
any ideas?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-04, 04:54 AM
You are using a new or freshly sharpened chain? I can use a whole lot of oil and gas when my chain is not sharp!

Old 02-28-04, 07:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Wingnut

The chain needs the depth gauges lowered. That will allow the chain to "bite" as you say. Bite meaning to make deeper cuts and create tiny wood chips instead of sawdust.

Replacing the bar should have corrected the cutting at an angle problem. Cutting at angles when not wanting to is caused by the bar rails not being even across the two top surfaces.

Resurfacing the bar rails would have solved that problem instead of replacing the bar. Now you can have two bars by simply having the old bar resurfaced at any local sharpening shop.

Reading the question "Chainsaw Problems" in the sharpening forum will help to explain the bite condition and how to correct it.

This is the link to that question:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=160355

Regards and Good Luck, Sharp Advice.
Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

Old 02-28-04, 07:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Additional Suggestions and Tips:

Turning the bar over every other chain sharpening helps to more evenly distribute the bar rail wear. Most bars can be turned over.

Turning the bar rail over also helps to extend the service life of the bar. Cleaning out the center groove each chain sharpening helps to keep the chain running level in the bar rail.

Having the bar rail resurfaced whenever installing a new chain helps to extend the service life of the chain. Doing so does not allow the chains to unevenly wear out the links which run on the bars rails.

Using plenty of chain oil helps to lube the chain as well as cool it. Cooler running decreases the heat buildup and chain stretching and wear. Also helps to flush out sawdust from the bar rail, etc.

Holding the saw straight keeps the bar cutting straight. Thus reducing the wear on both the chain and the bar rails. Chains where not meant to cut at angles. Doing so unevenly wears on the bar rails causing unwanted cuts at angles.

Maintaining sharpen chains and level bar rails allows the saw to cut with less effort and wear on the engine. Chainsaws are higher maintenance machines than initially or basically thought to be.

Old 02-28-04, 11:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello wingnut!

I have also noticed that a chain that is dull on one edge (like it hit concrete or a nail on the edge of the chain) will cut angles. Only one side of each blade is cutting, so it leans.