Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Recoil Starter repair

Visiting Guest

03-06-04, 05:23 PM   #1  
Norrrrm
Recoil Starter repair

I have a Troy Built Chipper/Shreader and the recoil starter rope on the Briggs & Stratton motor, suddenly, will only pull out about 6 inches and then it is stopped abruptly with a sharp metallic sound. It's like metal hitting metal.

Question: What might have happened? How difficult is it to repair something like this? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-04, 11:54 PM   #2  
Hello Norrrrm!

Sounds like something may be stuck in the chipper blade/impeller. You may be able to carefully extract it through the inlet opening, or you may need to gain access by removing part of the chipper housing. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

03-07-04, 08:28 AM   #3  
Hello: Norrrrm

I agree with cheese. First check the cutter/chipper blades. If that does not reveal the problem, you can remove the entire starter housing. Which contains the rope pull starter assembly.

However, do not disassemble the starter. There is a coiled spring beneath the rope pulley. A coiled and caged spring can be a rather dangerous part to the unsuspected.

Once the starter housing is removed, you can check it for debris. Also pull the rope out, if it will pull out. If not, best to have the rope starter repaired professionally if not familar with how to safely remove and replace the coiled spring assembly.

Another possibility would be to remove the spark plug and attempt to spin the engine. Could be an internal engine problem.

Use the reply button and post back the findings. More help could than be offered...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair. "Accurate Power Equipment Company."
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Visiting Guest

03-07-04, 10:57 AM   #4  
Norrrrm
Thanks for the tips. I'm out of town this week, but will check out your suggestions next weekend and will get back to you. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Norrrm

03-07-04, 02:43 PM   #5  
I agree with both of them. Most likely somthing is caught in the chipper/impeller. Let us know what you find when you can get to it.

Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 08:35 AM   #6  
Norrrrm
recoil starter

Hey Cheese, Sharp Advise and Terminator 20 - you all hit a home run on this one. I was able to turn the impeller almost a full rotation through the inlet opening and then it would stop. Could see nothing caught in the inlet, but noticed the blade on the top seemed to rotate not quite 360 degrees.

Dawned on me that maybe something was stuck in the bottom of the shute where you feed branches, that stopped the blade. I looked with a flashlight down the shoot - and man did I get exicited when I saw a piece of 1 1/2 " wood stuck there.

Took a little manuvering to get down into the shute and free the piece, but after about 15 min using a rigged needlenose pliers on extended pieces of metal - the piece broke free.

You guys saved me a trip to the repair man, money and boosted my fix-it ego.

Thanks a lot. Hope I can help someone in the future.

Norrrm

03-13-04, 09:52 AM   #7  
Good job! I am happy you got it fixed.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-14-04, 01:52 AM   #8  
Great! Glad we were able to help! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out .

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread