Odd noise, vibration

Old 03-15-04, 09:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Odd noise, vibration

I recently changed the drive belt on my craftsman self propelled mower.

Now I'm getting an odd noise and vibration at times when the engine is running. I thought it was the blade coming in contact with the housing, but that's not it. The noise seems to be coming from the front of the mower and only occurs randomly.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Old 03-15-04, 11:35 AM
Is your self propelled a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive. If your self propelled is a front wheel drive and you say you here the sound from the front of the mower, than most likely it is your transmition. Please give use more information on your mower. Brand name, model number if you have one, and then we can help you better.

Old 03-15-04, 11:51 AM
It's a front wheel drive Craftsman mower with a 7 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. The noise is not constant. It seems the lawnmower needs to be in a certain position to hear it.

Old 03-15-04, 10:44 PM
My guess is that your transmition is going, or its just that you have the wrong sise belt and it is slipping. Cheese will respond soon, so he can help you further.

Old 03-16-04, 01:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello eatchicken!

It could be that a gear is slipping in the front wheel drive wheels, or an axle bearing/bushing with too much wear. Pull the front wheels off and have a look at the gears molded on the inside of the wheel. Check for play in the metal gears that drive the front wheels too.

Old 03-16-04, 07:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: eatchicken

Agree. Eat more chicken...

Did you use an OEM belt? Hope so. Slight difference in belts can cause them to ride different on the quill and pulleys creating a different tensioning which can create noises, etc.

May be a loss quill attached to the engines cranksahft extension. Check it. Has a set screw. Also check the belt tensioning arm and pulley. May be incorrectly tensioned if non OEM belt used or the pulleys bearings are wornout, etc.

If you had to remove any springs on tensioning arm, be sure it is reinstalled exactly as it was prior. Belt may be too loss or too tight. Check engagement and adjustment device for proper operations, etc.

All or any of these can be the problem before suspecting gearbox problems. If the problem did not exist prior to belt replacement. Sometimes we have a tendency to over look the little things.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 03-16-04, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The noise did not exist before I replaced the belt, so I'll backtrack and start there. The belt is OEM.

Old 03-16-04, 12:22 PM
its probably just the belt, I just did not want to rule out the other

Old 03-16-04, 06:50 PM
Problem solved. Took a closer look at a couple of things and even though I thought it wasn't the blade scraping the housing, I tapped on the housing with a hammer for craps ang grins and go figure, no more noise. Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-16-04, 06:58 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Good job!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: