Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel/oil mixture

Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 03:23 PM   #1  
JamesnRhonda
fuel/oil mixture

I have a Homelite gas powered trimmer that i'm trying to find the oil/fuel mixture ratio for. The label says it was manufactured 11/97 and
25CC family SH2025Ub24RA.

Any ideas...I got on homelites website and have had no success. I do have the serial number if that would help but i wanted to avoid posting it online.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

03-08-04, 03:32 PM   #2  
Your fuel misture ratio should be 25:1

Use 2cycle moter oil only.

03-08-04, 06:23 PM   #3  
I know this will cause debate, but...go to your local dealership for chainsaws/trimmers...buy some 50:1 mix....mix it up...and enjoy your trimmer. Your trimmer engine is no different than a chainsaw engine...just typically smaller. Chainsaws run at 12,500-14700 rpm...your trimmer won't. That 25:1 mix will foul plugs and plug exhausts...

On another note, I will add, that I do run 32:1 synthetic in my race engines...but they are overrevved and overworked in the short time they run.

Visiting Guest

03-08-04, 08:38 PM   #4  
JamesnRhonda
Hmm...now i'm really curious. Well what are the risks of running the 50:1 if the engine really does require 25:1? Would it burn it up or just not run properly. Right now i notice oil sludge build up around the exaust which i think is because I don't allways run it at full speed as the manual said to do.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-09-04, 12:16 AM   #5  
Hello JamesnRhonda!

I actually think your trimmer should run 32:1. The 50:1 ratio mentioned by Dennis should be fine. Many people do it. It will help keep the engine from carboning up and the exhaust from clogging. Revving the engine to full speed will also prevent this. Use synthetic for lean oil/fuel ratios. Many people are running 100:1 in chainsaws with no complaints...they are actually getting more power. Oil doesn't burn like gas, so the richer the ratio, the less power you have. I wouldn't hesitate one second to run 50:1 with synthetic 2stroke oil.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-09-04, 12:26 PM   #6  
JamesnRhonda
Thanks everyone

After your suggestions i have decided to try the 50:1 with synthetic. Woo hoo! more power is allways good!
Thanks for the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-09-04, 08:36 PM   #7  
Anytime! Glad we could help!

God bless!

03-10-04, 08:27 AM   #8  
Good to hear! Just remember, your local saw dealer or trimmer dealer will have some Husky, Jonsered, or Stihl mix at a very good price as opposed to buying a "specialty" synthetic oil....these oils are a semi synthetic and will do the job just fine.

Visiting Guest

03-13-04, 06:18 PM   #9  
JamesnRhonda
Now what?

Ok...finally!..I figured it out..I'm go to my local small engine shop to pick up some synthetic oil to mix this and the guy hands me this stuff called Opti 2 Enviro Formula 2cycle engine lubricant. I ask him what ratio this package will make and he says "it doesn't matter. It will work for all 2 cycle engines." I was really set on the 50:1 synthetic but he really pushed me into this stuff. Now has anyone heard of this stuff and what do you think? How can this stuff work for all mixture ratio's?

03-13-04, 07:12 PM   #10  
I have never hurd of it, however its probably fine in your 2cycle engine. See what the others think when they reply.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-14-04, 01:44 AM   #11  
I've heard of it, and it's supposed to be good stuff. I think one packet does one gallon. It is supposed to be sufficient for all ratios. The oil-fuel ratio varies on different equipment, but the ratio is not all that important...as long as there is enough. Ratios are adjusted by manufacturers to meet EPA standards, for one. You'll notice how, as years go by, reccomended oil/fuel ratios get leaner in equipment. This is because of emissions mainly. A chainsaw requiring 16:1 ratio can run on 50:1 with good oil just as well as a saw requiring 32:1.

God bless!

03-14-04, 09:19 AM   #12  
Opti is good and they do make claims of being able to run at 100:1. I still run my race machines at 32:1 with the same type of mix. Mix it up at 50:1 and you will be just fine. If you are still concerned, go back to your dealer and ask for 50:1 Husqvarna, Jonsered, or Stihl mix....they are a semi synthetic oil and will do just fine in your trimmer.

Visiting Guest

03-16-04, 06:39 AM   #13  
Resaw
Best 2 cycle air cooled oil

Hi all.
After reading through your posts, i have a question for you all. I was told by a lawn equipment distributer that Lawn boy brand oil was the only thing he'd use, so i got some. Now, it's "ashless", which means...what? And is it a good oil?

Also, about you comments on certain oils which boast useability in any engine....NOT SO! Try running 50:1 in a blower which says to run 32:1! There might be a reason why manufacturers say to run richer mixes. Perhaps it is a more economical machine, not so well engineered, and thus requiring a richer fuel/oil mixture. Also, as manufacturing techniques become perfected, and oils become better, the need for richer mixes are less. Maybe it was just the blower's time to say goodnight, but i believe, as it was an older machine, it needed more oil.

03-16-04, 12:32 PM   #14  
Just don't bowup your engine ok? LOL

03-16-04, 02:34 PM   #15  
I run 50:1 Jonsered mix in every single peice of my two stroke peices of equipment, (with the exception of my race machines) including my homelite weedeater that asks for 32:1. Never had a fuel related failure.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-16-04, 10:14 PM   #16  
Quote: "Also, about you comments on certain oils which boast useability in any engine....NOT SO! Try running 50:1 in a blower which says to run 32:1! "

That is exactly what we are saying we do. Run 50:1 in machines requiring 32:1, and even in machines requiring 16:1. Some people have been running 100:1 for years with no problem. Ask the motocross racers. They'll tell you about how they run 100:1 in their expensive track bikes. Of course, they'll also tell you how they run synthetic oil, because, exactly as you said: "Also, as manufacturing techniques become perfected, and oils become better, the need for richer mixes are less."

Ashless oil leaves less soot. Higher oil/fuel ratios create soot/carbon in the engine. Probably the #1 cause of engine failure in small 2-strokes, so leaner oil/fuel ratios could even mean LONGER engine life. Also COOLER engine operation.

Most engine warranties won't cover damage due to ratios leaner or richer than the mfgr suggestions, so if warranty is what you are concerned with, then stick to the book. Run the ratio that makes you feel comfortable, but I'm just stating that it can be done.

DennisG is in the performance chainsaw circuit. He of all here should know. Some of those saws have thousands invested.

God bless!

Search this Thread