engine races/dies

Old 03-17-04, 09:04 AM
slim
Visiting Guest
engine races/dies

I have a thatcher that has a Briggs and Stratton 5 HP Model 135202, type 0015-01 engine. It runs fine not under load, but when thatching the engine starts to race and then dies. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 09:34 AM
Open your carberator and clean it throughly with the use of Automotive gumout spray and a tiny soft paint brush or soft rag. If you have not replaced the gas with new gas, I would do so. Check your spark plug, make sure it does look too black and tary looken. If it is replace your sparkplug, then tell us how it runs aftor that.

Old 03-17-04, 02:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: slim

Classic symptoms of lean running carb conditions. Most likely a carb internal cleaning would solve the problem as well as fresh fuel.

Check fuel and air filters also. Clean area around the govennor, the linkage and the spring. Debris and rust may be causing it to hangup or not move freely.

Small engine generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 03-18-04, 01:39 PM
slim
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sharp Advice and Terminator 20. I took carb apart...both carb and tank full of varnish, rust, and other wonderful stuff. Ordering carb kit and new tank. Sounds like you were right.

Old 03-18-04, 03:11 PM
I am glad you got it fixed. Have fun!