engine will not start

Old 03-22-04, 03:35 PM
papermoon_bg2
Visiting Guest
engine will not start

I have just installed new K321S Kohler engine in my Simplicity lawn tractor and engine spins over fine but does not seem to be getting fire to plug. Test light reveals current @ + side of coiland also to - side as well. Is this correct for breaker point ignition? Also old engine had a fuel pump but this one has a plate over the insertion site. I believe engine is getting fuel however, the gas line comes down and then goes back up to carb so I'm wondering also if fuel delivery may be a problem and I need to install fuel pump. Any info greatly appreciated as I'm trying to fix mower my self for cost savings.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-04, 03:55 PM
Take the carb apart and see if you can see any gas in there. If you do, then your carb is getting gas. If it is dry, then you probably need a fuel pump. However I would make sure you are getting spark to the plug not by testing at the coil, but by puting the sparkplug against or very close to the engine manafold and while trying to start and you see a spark, than of course you are getting fire. Also you mentioned this is a new engine. Did you wire the electronics yourself? If so, make sure the engine wired properly. Do these things while you wait for Cheese to reply.

I would like to add something here... Check your gas cap for the heck of it, make sure it is not cloged.

Last edited by Terminator20; 03-22-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello papermoon_bg2!

You will have the 12v on both sides of the coil. That is normal. Have you replaced the points/condenser? Obviously, new engines don't have points anymore, so is it a new engine as in never used?

If the carburetor fuel inlet is lower than the tank outlet, you don't need a fuel pump.

The gas cap shouldn't have any effect on any of this.

Last edited by cheese; 03-23-04 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-23-04, 05:32 PM
I was just thinking that if it was cloged tha mabie a vacume would get created to not allow gass to flow. But I bet you Cheese is right. I rarely ever have a vacume created in the fuel tank. I just like to take percautions is all.

Old 03-23-04, 05:57 PM
papermoon_bg2
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your time & knowledge in your replies. Fire seems to be getting thru to all the appropriate places ( plug & points), took fuel bowel off carb & gas is getting there. New plug doesn't show gas getting to cylinder so @ the advice of Kohler I'm going to take to Kohler dealer for inspection/repairs since it's brand new engine. Thanks again for your replies--bg

Old 03-23-04, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok..so it IS brand new. You shouldn't have points to worry with then. Warranty should cover it, as you've already found out. Hope it goes well!