Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Which Honda to Get?

03-23-04, 09:44 AM   #1  
Which Honda to Get?

im looking at 2 diff honda models sold at home depot....one is 599 the other is 699....both are the same except the one that is 699 has the clutch system to engage and disengage the blade and still leave the engine running....so you can move toys, lawn stuff...bagger...whatever....vs one that you have to restart everytime

my question is it worth the extra 100 buck to get that one?....i heard its less wear and tear on the engine b/c you dont have to pull the cord as much...any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links

03-23-04, 11:43 AM   #2  
I could be wrong here, and I will be corrected I am sure...lol....but doesn't the engine die regardless when you let go of the handle? Here in Canada, they all do..clutch or no clutch I believe. The difference is you can move across driveways, dirt patches..etc...without blowing dust everywhere...or rocks...

As far as I am concerned, pulling the rope a few extra times a year is not extra "wear and tear".

Do you feel it necessary to have to be able to disengage the blade? Either to move across patches or to another piece of lawn? 100 bucks is pretty expensive in my opinion for just having (not) to pull the rope again.

03-23-04, 11:43 AM   #3  
I should add, that either way you go, Honda is a great choice!

03-23-04, 12:55 PM   #4  
I agree. You don't need that for an extra 100 bucks. Just get the 599 one. That is expensive enough for a walkbehind.

03-23-04, 05:18 PM   #5  
The one you are probably looking at buying is a Honda harmony They are the most popular mowers in the US made by Honda. However, I think Canada sells them too don't they? Just remember, I have a friend who bought one of those expensive walk behinds and it worked great for the first two years. Then comes the third year, it it is really hard to start because he did not maintain it properly. This is not a low maintenance machine. This means, you have to open up the carb every year and clean it out throughly, and buy a new sparkplug. Other than that, these are great mowers! If I were you, I would consider buying a Toro Model: 20038 6.75hp Personal PaceŽ with Bag. That is a great mower. That is the one I had before I bought toro's commercial walk behind. I have had that mower for many years and have been very happy with it. It still runs. But of course I allways do a little TLC with it to keep it that way. That machine is actually very low maintenence. All I ever did with it is replace the air filter and sparkplug. And ran some carb cleaner through the gas tank. I would buy this mower. And if you ever have a lawn at even 5 inches tall, with the hp of that moter, it can cut it just fine. Just remember when cutting a lawn that mower picks up the clipings better if you cut a lawn at 1 2 3 or 4 inches high. 5 inches means you have to not bag it. So don't let your lawn get 5 inches high! LOL The link to the spacific page is below.

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/supe...ler/20038.html

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-23-04, 09:42 PM   #6  
Hello HandyMan24!

I like the clutch feature myself, but I don't know that I would spend an extra $100.00 for it. I guess it depends on how much I liked it, lol. The clutch they use is dependable and seldom fails. Usually they outlast the engine (which is saying something). It just boild down to the question of whether you like the feature enough. I don't think it makes much difference as to the wear on the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread