Dead Lawnmower

Old 03-25-04, 02:10 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Talking Dead Lawnmower

I just bought a used Craftsman 5.5 HP mower, it says Eager-1 on it. It has both an electric start and a pull. The guy said the battery was dead so I have been trying to start the thing by hand, to no avail. There is compression but no spark. There was no gas in it, so I have filled it up. The spark plug is clean and unpitted - looks fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 02:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: WimbledonWoman. Welcome to the Small Engine topic and the Do It Yourself web site.

Couple of items to check.

Ignition switch must be on. Electric start has a key switch, most likely, which has to be in the on position.

Throttle up to start position or fully on to high speed.
May have a manual choke which has to be on to start.
May have a safety device or two somewhere.
Most likely a catcher bag safety switch. Has to have the grass clipping bag on the machine.
May have an interlock safety switch on the pull back handle lever.
Which has to be pulled back against the handle bar to start the engine and keep it running.

Since you have already checked and covered many other possibilities, hope some of the above help further.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies. The forums resident small engine tech will help you additionally.

Use the reply button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 03-25-04, 02:52 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Dead Lawn Mower

Many thanks..I will go look, then BBQ some gasoline flavored ribs!

Old 03-25-04, 03:01 PM
Sounds delishious. I don't think I spelled that word right but you know what I mean. I would have said the same thing as Sharp Advice said. So basically I agree and want you to check all that. Cheese will also respond at the end of the day.

Old 03-25-04, 03:09 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Dead Lawn Mower

No ignition key start apparent on the electrical side. It has a choice of side or rear discharge and no apparent safety devices there. No manual choke that I can find. It does have a Power Gear Drive, I removed the cover for that an the belt is good, tight and can be turned manually. Ho hum...any more ideas?

Old 03-25-04, 03:21 PM
You said that you could not find a keyswitch? Did you find any wires just hanging around that are not going to anything? There has got to be a way to start this thing. Check it out more and get back to us.

Old 03-25-04, 03:26 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Dead Lawn Mower

No I have double checked. That's the frustrating part. It all looks fine. I pull the cord and I can feel the thing wanting to start, just no spark. I've cleaned the fuel line, taken off everything possible and cleaned it. It does need a new air filter but I dont think thats the prob. There's no gack underneath, the blade turns freely. Ive been had by a no-hole-in-the-gascap before and thats not it. Cripes!

Old 03-25-04, 04:04 PM
Ok, this is a long shot. but it may be the cause. We have not covered yet that the carberator may be the culprit. What I want you to do is take apart your carb and clean it using automotive gumout spray and a soft brissle brush and or soft rag. Make sure when you reinstall the carb that you tightend your mixture screw all the way in till seated then back off 1/2 turn. Check to see if this thing has a primer too, if it does, make sure it working. You can also before you take the carb apart squrt a little bit of gass into the sparkplug hole and reinstall the sparkplug and see if it will fire up. If it does and then it dies, its probably the carberator. Your kill switch could be the handle lever. If it is, tie the lever to the bar so that way it will stay on the start position. This is all I can think of that you could do right now. Stay tuned, Cheese will be answering at the end of the day.

PS: I would like to add, you said the compression is good. How do you know that? You do know that when it is hard to pull the rope you have great compression, but if the rope pulls really too easy, than your compression is gone.

Old 03-25-04, 04:10 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Dead Lawn Mower

This I will do, thanks for your efforts...whatever happens I am going to shower and eat BBQ. I'm fried. My 1976 Triumph Spitfire is considerably easier to maintain.

I will check back later to see if ole Cheesy has any thoughts, bet its the bloody carbertooter!

Tata, have a great evening.

Old 03-25-04, 04:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: WimbledonWoman

Before you go any further into the engine or carb, etc. it is not clear what you mean by your words: "No ignition key start apparent on the electrical side."...????

Does that mean the entire key switch assembly is totally missing??? Or it is there and all the wires are attached???

Kindly explain in more details exactly what is there.

Number 2 item.
Is the key switch assembly, if there, are you able to turn it? So it would be in the ON position?

Is the wires attached to the start key switch?
Yes or no? (Wires have to be all attached or the current will not go to the ignition system, etc.)

Is the battery there? Has to be a battery there, dead or alive.
At least for us to know if the battery terminals are grounding out.

Explain each in details so we can help diagnose the conditions and the componets that are there. Thanks.

Old 03-25-04, 05:11 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Dead Lawn Mower

The electrical start is simply a rocker switch, I have gone over the wiring and nothing is missing, all seems intact and where appropriate, sealed properly, all connectors tight. The battery is there the two terminals in as tight (as we say in Wimbledon) as a tick's bummole. I sprayed gas into the spark plug holio and nothing. It reminds me of drifting down the Thames with my best friend, trying to get his boat started, only after a few beers did he remember he had put a cork in the exhaust! Boy what a laugh. Anyway, tomorrow will be the great carbertooter undoing. Give me a BSA or Triumph any day.

Thanks a bunch for your help once again. I need the dude off Slingblade I think!

K

Old 03-25-04, 09:15 PM
Ok, right from the start, you have said there is no spark...so lets look at that issue...

Switch is in the right position, battery is in place, no safety switches messing us up....ok pull the plug, ground it and check for spark...do we have a big blue spark? If not, try another plug...if we still don't have spark, then its time to ignore carb issues for the time being and focus on the real problem...sheared flywheel key? Shot coil? Bad high tension wire?

Let us know what you find with the spark and we can go from there...

Oh yeah...lol..and hope ya enjoyed them ribs!!

Old 03-25-04, 09:21 PM
Just on another thought as I hit the "submit" button....you said it was self propelled...on that particular machine does it also have a mower (blade)clutch?? If I recall that particular unit has two levers to engage different things...one for the blade (a safety which must be pulled back when starting) and one for the drive..(don't hold me to that...I could be thinking Toro) ...if you are trying to pull this machine over without holding at least one lever to the handle...chances are it will never start....ok cheese...help us out...lol

Old 03-26-04, 12:02 AM
Cheese will have to help you next because we all have run out of ideas.

Old 03-26-04, 12:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello WimbledonWoman!

Wow!! I feel like I'm late, lol !

Ok, if you are sure you have no spark, here's what to do:

On the handle of the mower, there is a bar you pull down before you start the engine. That bar pulls a cable. Follow that cable down the handlebars to the engine. Watch the parts that move when you pull the bar down. See which part moves which way. Then, hold the bar down and tie it so you can let go, but it will still be down. Go to the part on the engine that moves when you pull the bar. Move it manually a little farther in the direction it moves when you pull the bar. Now check for spark. If you have spark, you probably need a new safety bar cable.

When you check for spark, are you using a new plug? Is the safety bar pulled down against the handle bar when you check for spark? Is the spark plug touching metal on the engine when you check for spark? All these things need to be done to check for spark.

If you still have no spark when you do the test above, remove the shroud from atop the engine. There you will see the coil. (it is what the spark plug wire comes out of). Unplug the small black wire that is also connected to the coil and check for spark again. If you have spark, the small black wire is grounding somewhere. If you don't, the coil is bad.

I wouldn't mess with the carburetor...it has nothing to do with the ignition spark.

Also...are you sure the thing is actually electric start? Do you see a starter? A battery? The reason I ask is because electric start engines aren't usually equipped with a rocker switch. They usually have a keyswitch, unless someone has changed it for some reason.

Old 04-07-04, 06:58 PM
Were you able to figure this out?

Old 04-09-04, 04:34 PM
WimbledonWoman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for asking, but no. It is home to a few spiders now...I don't have the time or the tools or the patience. It will have to go to the hospital before the "lawn" gets totally out of control. Best wishes Mt Terminator, you tried...