looking for opinions

Old 04-02-04, 09:25 AM
looking for opinions

looking for opinions on/experience with riding lawn mowers:

1.25 acres, mostly flat land
looking to stay under $2500

I favor John Deere but am considering Kubota.
Hows the JD L series compare with the LT series? Compared to Kubota?

Thanks.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 10:12 AM
Kabota makes higher standard lawn tractors so they are more expensive. However, with the amount of land you have, you don't need to have a expensive kabota. There LT series is pretty good. But I would consider buying something from the 100 series. You can get a 23HP B&S Engine with a whole lot of other stuff for 2500 in the 100 series. Or you can get something less than that for your budget and still is a quality lawn tractor. So go ahead and check it out.

PS: There 20HP model in the 100 series was 2200. So, you have a good tractor for your budget!

Old 04-02-04, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Bob!

I think Kubota would win the race between L or LT series deere, or Kubota. The LT series is a better lawn tractor than the L. Both are John Deere's attempt to siphon some of the consumer market from discount and box stores. If you buy one under the pretense that you are buying the premium quality that deere normally stands for, you might be disappointed a little. You can upgrade and get a deere with the quality you'd expect (like the GT line). The L and LT are still good mowers on the homeowner end of the scale. You might also look into the line of mowers offered by Craftsman. Kubota is usually a high quality machine, but I don't see very many of them and haven't seen all of their models. The ones I have seen are well built.

Old 04-02-04, 11:05 PM
The only reason to buy a Kabota, Is if you had 4 acres or more land that you needed to mow. And if you had uneven turrain where you would need to have shocks and power stering and 4 wheel drive. I had scored on a 20HP Kabota Lawn Tractor. These things are built really well. The one I have actually has small shocks installed to make it a easier ride. With power stering, and cruise control. With hydrolic lift. But, if I did not have a lawn care service I would have never accepted it because of how big it is.

Old 04-09-04, 04:17 AM
narrowing it down...

Thanks for the input!

I'm about 95% sure I'll get the LT160. I looked at the L120 and the LT160 and LT180 this week. I can see doing a bit of hauling (dirt, firewood, stone) this year and next. Plus - haven't decided on snow removal, yet. Its a gravel driveway. I was leaning towards a walk behind blower, but now may opt for a blade.
Still need to check out wheelhorse and kubota. A local dealer carries both.
Can't see myself on a craftsman, cub cadet, or big orange (though I like their chainsaws!). Its one of those things carried over from my childhood LOL.

BTW - i did post a response on Monday, but t was lost with the server crash.

Old 04-09-04, 09:43 AM
The LT180 is pretty good lawn tractor.

Old 04-16-04, 04:37 PM
Lt 160

Just ordered a LT160 today. did alot of research and found the added features worth it for me. Easier to fill, nice seat with springs, Much better engine cover the L series leaves to much exposed. Liked the square look over the round and the twin touch pedals are much better than the L series. Just my opinion.

Old 04-16-04, 05:46 PM
Awsome!!! You won't be disapointed with the LT160. Thats a good tractor and will last you long time.