Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor Service & Repair

03-30-04, 12:09 PM   #1  
Craftsman Eager-1

I own a Craftsman Eager-1 6.5 hp push mower. The problem I'm having is I'll prime it with a few pumps of the bulb and I'll start it. It'll run for a moment and then gas begins to pour out of the carburator through the air filter and onto the body. Any Ideas??? and is it easy enough for me to do on my own? I heard carburator cleaner or WD- 40 could possibly loosen a gummed up float or something.

THank YOu

Sponsored Links

03-30-04, 12:15 PM   #2  
You are correct. This sounds like you have a carb issue here. Take your carb apart and use automotive Gumout spray and a soft brush or soft rag to clean every nook and cranny of your carb. When you go to reinstall it, please tighten your mixture screw all the way and then back it off 1/2 turn. Also, make sure your spark plug is clean. If its all tard and carbend up, replace it.

03-30-04, 05:29 PM   #3  
craftsman egar-1

So, in taking the carburator apart...is that a diffucult project? I consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined but I've never taken apart a carburator. Can you reccommend a place to get some instructions?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-04, 01:11 AM   #4  
Hello Hammerhead!

It sounds to me like you have a bad float, and/or a stuck or bad needle and seat. To check these things, remove the screw that holds the bowl on the carburetor. Take the bowl off. Clean out any varnish and or trash in the bowl. You'll see the float hanging under the carb. It is a brass ring-shaped piece. Make sure it moves up and down freely. If so, remove the pin that it hinges on and take the float out. Shake it near your ear. If you hear a sloshing noise, it is bad. To be sure you eliminate the problem, replace the needle and seat while you're in the carb. Use something to gently pick the rubber seat out of the fuel inlet where the needle goes. Use a Qtip soaked with carburetor cleaner to swab out the hole, and install the new seat, making sure the side with the ridge faces away from the needle.

Hope that is clear enough...if not, let me know. You can do this...it's easy even for a novice.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-03-04, 03:24 AM   #5  
Carftsman Eager-1 6.5

how does one disassemble the carburator. Where do I start?
I get down there and it looks so complicated. Some one help me

CANADA

04-03-04, 07:12 AM   #6  
Hammerhead
Normally Craftsman use Tecumseh motors so if you have one on your mower then check this link out, it may clear some things out for you...
http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb1.htm

snoman

Group Moderator

NC

04-05-04, 06:24 PM   #7  
Why are you taking the carb. apart?

Just get a nice clean sheet of cardboard and start taking the carb apart. I usually start with the bowl on the bottom... Just look very carefully where everything goes before you take it apart. Pay attention to your jet screws. Screw them in, counting your turns, until it stops. This will help re-set them when you re-assemble the carb. Write down anything important and don't be aftraid to make yourself a little sketch/drawing. You can figure it out if you are methodical and pay attention.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-04, 12:25 AM   #8  
I think this actually has a plastic and aluminum carb. The bowl is held on with a flip bail wire. You just flip the wire and the bowl drops off. There is a square piece of gasket material on top. Note which way it is installed, and which side is up. The nozzle is a red plastic tube that pushes into the center of the bowl, with a spring under it. It just pulls out. There's not a whole lot you can do to these carbs...there's not much to 'em.

God bless!

04-06-04, 05:09 AM   #9  
A million Thanks

to all that helped with the great info... THANK YOU!!
I sucessfully changed out the float and re-assembled the carb, and I must say it really wasn't too difficult with a little help from my friends Thanks again!!

04-06-04, 05:16 AM   #10  
many thanks

Just wanted to say thank you to the helpful folks on these forums. You were a huge help. SUCESS!!

04-06-04, 02:43 PM   #11  
Glad you got it fixed!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-04, 10:48 PM   #12  
Good job! Glad we could help. Did you have the carb with the plastic bowl and flip-bail, or the one with the screw on the bottom? Curious. Many of those 6.5hp engines had the plastic bowl carbs on them.

God bless!

04-07-04, 04:05 AM   #13  
Craftsman Eager-1 6.5

Hey Cheese,
Thanks again, so glad to have a place where real people can ask real questions and get a real answer.
I have the bowl with the screw on the bottom. In fact after I thought I assembled it properly I put the mower away and the next morning gas had leaked out of the bowl, around where the screw is. Before I freaked out I just gave the screw a little tightening and everything seemes to be fine. After a new plug (gapped a 0.30) and an oil change it seems to be doing great! One thing I did notice is that I had to tighten the screw for the throttle all the way down is that normal after carb work?
Again Many Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-08-04, 01:09 AM   #14  
Do you mean the idle stop screw, or the throttle cable clamp screw? You shouldn't have to tighten the isle stop screw. Does it run at a full range of rpm, or just high speed?

God bless!

04-08-04, 09:20 PM   #15  
idle stop screw?

YO Cheese,

I Think it's the idle stop screw that I 've tightened down. My mower is self propelled. On the handle theres another handle that has to be held down to operate, then there's a lever that engages the self-propelling action. You mentioned a throttle cable...my mower only runs at high speed so is that "other" handle my throttle? and maybe that's where the adjusting has to take place? Whan I re-assembled the carb I wasn't 100% on just which hole the idle link went into. There's a big one and two small ones, I put in the small one furthest away from the engine.
Hmmm! I hope I haven't "screwed" something up. THanks for the continued advise.
I haven't had a chance to use it since I put it back together so maybe there's still hope.

Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-09-04, 12:01 AM   #16  
OK, you have a fixed throttle. No throttle cable to worry about. You tightened the idle stop screw. If you had to do this to get the engine to run at the proper speed, you probably got the linkage in the wrong hole. If you look closely at the holes, you will see which one has the wear marks from where the linkage was originally attatched. The problem with leaving it the way it is is that your governor will not control the engine properly.

God bless!

04-12-04, 09:04 AM   #17  
Craftsman Eager-1 6.5

Yo Cheese,

Thanks for the reply!
I was in Wal-Mart and happened to check out the throttle links on some of the new mowers and noticed that I did have the link in the wrong hole. I'll look closer and look for the wear as you said.

Thanks!

04-12-04, 09:58 AM   #18  
Glad to see it is working again.

04-12-04, 10:07 AM   #19  
Craftsman Eager-1 6.5

Thanks for the help !!

07-01-06, 03:28 PM   #20  
Hey Folks I know this thread is a little old, but I have the same mower with the same issue. I was wondering where you got your Carb kit from?

Search this Thread