Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem (Carb Problem)

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 10:24 AM   #1  
mogack
Engine Starting Problem (Carb Problem)

If my Briggs and Statton 14.5 hp Motor wont start, could it be flooded? I have spark, I think i am getting gas any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-03-04, 04:25 PM   #2  
Leave it sit for 30 minutes. Then try to start it again without choking it. See if that helps. If no start, then give a little choking than let off. Its possible that all it is. If this does not cure the problem than you may have to clean your carb. But that is only last resort. Let us know what happens.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-04-04, 12:58 AM   #3  
Hello mogack!

Look at the oil on the dipstick. Is it too high? Does the oil smell like gas? If so, it is flooded. You will have to replace the carburetor needle and change the oil before starting it.

Is the spark plug wet looking? If not, then it probably is not flooding. Try squirting a bit of gas into the spark plug hole and reinstall the plug and try to start it. (if it is determined that it's not flooding). If it starts and runs for a second, then dies, you are not getting fuel to the cylinder (carburetor problems most likely).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-04-04, 04:31 AM   #4  
mogack
Got it!!!! yehaaaa Wife is happy

Thanks to all for your help. I squited gas into the spark plug hole and determined it was the carb. I took it off and cleaned it real well, It is running like a champ. Can any one give me step by step instructions on adjusting valves on this motor, Briggs 14.5 OHV.
Thanks again.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-04-04, 06:24 AM   #5  
My Professional 2 Cents

Hello: mogack

If the engine is running well at the presnt time, best to leave valves alone. If it ain't broke, don't "fix it."

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix it, tinker with it or $#@&*&%$#@! with it until you do break it!"

04-04-04, 09:10 AM   #6  
I am glad you got it fixed. I had suspected that the carb could of been the culprit. Just remember to allways keep that air filter clean so that you don't get gunk in the carb. And make sure the fuel filter is clean too. Allways use fresh gass. If you keep gass stored for long periods of time add stabiliser to the gass according to the propper amount instructed on the can or bottle.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-04-04, 10:49 PM   #7  
Good going! Glad we could help!

You can set the piston at top dead center and set both valves to .005" if you need to adjust them. Usually, you can tell when the valves need adjusting by the way it starts. If it lugs when it starts, or drags...kinda like it has a bad battery, then they need adjusting.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread