Wheel Hub Removal on Toro Z Master

Old 04-05-04, 06:43 PM
BobCrane
Visiting Guest
Wheel Hub Removal on Toro Z Master

I've got a Toro Z Master 320 that is leaking hydraulic fluid. After removing the tire and the locking nut I am unable to remove the brake drum.

Is there something else that needs to come lose or should I strong arm it off of here?

I checked Toro's site and found an exploded view of the area I'm working in. It does not seem to show anything but the locking nut holding the drum on.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-04, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Bob!

I can't say that I've ever pulled a drum off of a Toro Z. Normally, when a drum won't come off, it's because the brake shoes are worn into it a bit, or just too tight on it and won't let go. See if you can adjust the brakes from behind the backing plate, and get them to back away from the drum some. Does the drum wiggle at all?

Old 04-08-04, 10:51 AM
Were you able to get the drum off? What is wrong with it? Why were you trying to take it off?

Old 04-08-04, 12:59 PM
BobCrane
Visiting Guest
I can't see any way to adjust the shoe, I had thought they may be holding it in. The brake has only one function, as a parking mechanism. Everything else is handled by the hydraulic system.

The reason to pull the hub is to get at the hydraulic system and track down the leak.

Still stuck....

Old 04-09-04, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wish I had more experience with this piece of equipment. If the drum is not pressed on or held on by any retaining device, and is truly stuck, try rapping on the flat spots between the lugs with a ball peen hammer. If it is stuck, this vibration/impact can break it free of the rust/corrosion that is holding it in place. Don't use so much force that damage results though, obviously.

This also works even better if you get some pressure from behind the drum. Try wedging a pair of screwdrivers behind it, one on either side, while tapping it with the hammer. It may pop right off.