Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need a mower - and advice

Visiting Guest

04-07-04, 06:49 AM   #1  
deep6blue
Need a mower - and advice

I need to get a new mower. I'm looking at the 20016 and 20019 models from Toro. Is there any advantage in the high wheel on the 20016? Or the Atomic blade on the 20019? How much maintenance am I going to have to do on either one? Is the Personal Pace system that much better than the variable speed FWD?

I'll admit that I have never done any maintenance on a mower. The one I had in high school was a "green beast" that my mom had picked up used. It ran for a long time and only once gave us trouble (bad gas, left in from the year before).

I haven't used a mower since then. But after following this sight for a short time, and listening to some friends, I think Toro is the way to go-ro (haha!).

Anyway, what do you all think? I am considering these models: 20016(Variable speed high wheel), 20017(Personal Pace), and 20019 (Variable speed comfort grip).

Thanks in advance. I'll listen to any advice you would like to share.

And a side note. I noticed that Home Depot also carries the Yard Machines brand. Who makes Yard Machines? They are a spin off from someone else aren't they? Are they any good?

Darn, I just realized something. since we just bought the new house, I'm also going to need a: blower, weedeater/trimmer, and whatever else a homeowner needs. Any ideas or advice on these?

I love new toys!

Last edited by deep6blue; 04-07-04 at 07:10 AM.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

04-07-04, 08:40 AM   #2  
"My 2 Cents"

Hello and Welcome deep6blue to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Suggestions, Ideas and Advice wanted? No problem. This is the place on the subject of small engines, mowers and all other outdoor power equipment...

Like most other consumer products, personal choice plays a major part in product model choices. As does the intended purpose of usage for the machine.

Each model provides different features & options based on personal choices. Best method to determine which best suits you and the intended purpose is to know the intentions.

Thus, big wheel mowers have there benefits. Same applies to speed control and other optional items. In my opinion, none of which will be best able to be judged unless you have the option to try each mower prior to a purchase.

Which is not likely to be done while on site at the big box store retailers. But in most or some cases at a local lawn mower shop. A place to "Test Drive" so to speak, before purchasing.

Personal choices for me, self propelled is a must. Not required but rather a preferred must have option. So is a commerical model. Far better suction power than a 3 in 1 bagger.

Blade clutch preferred over the engine kill each time bag emptying is required. Restarting each time is annoying but it is a personal choice.

Rear wheel drive is preferred and still another personal choice. All of these personal choices are just that...personal choices.

Point is to test drive prior to a purchase. May be the best advice to offer. Some lawns benefit from optional choices. A mowing pleasure makes the job more enjoyable rather than a displeasure.
Costs factors aside, of course.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

NY

04-07-04, 01:35 PM   #3  
Toro is an excellent choice. As far as high-wheeler or not: The purpose of a high wheeler is to ease the required force to move the unit. Generally these machines should only be needed when there is no self-propell, although if you have hilly terrain it might be nice to have.
As far as self-propell type (personal pace or variable): Both are identical to one another in theory. They each rely on belt slippage to determine ground speed. The only difference being front or rear wheel drive and the method by which they are actuated, with Pace being rear drive.
As far as front or rear wheel drive: Personally (pun intended), I prefer rear drive. Why? These tend not to wander from a straight line when mowing. If your even slightly like me, (I love straight, distinct lines on my lawn), you'll agree.
As far as Yard-Man machines: These are made by MTD. Arguably the best box-store brand around, Yard-Man that is.
May I further suggest that you buy from a reputable dealer regardless which brand you choose. However, if you purchase non-name-brand equipment (as I refer to them) you may not find an independent dealer for such but they are still out there though, just hard to find.

Visiting Guest

04-08-04, 06:17 AM   #4  
deep6blue
Well, I did it. I bought a 20016. I found a local sales and service dealer on the Toro.com website and paid them a visit.

What a great place. Not only did they have the mower for $10 less than Home Depot, they assembled it and put in gas & oil. It was ready to mow 5 minutes after I paid for it. They explained how to change the oil and air filter, how to clean it, store it for winter, and demonstrated all the controls. You can't beat great service like that. And with the shop being a full sales and service place, I can get any parts I need for repair.

Why did I go with the 20016 you might ask? My yard is on a slightly hilly area, so the big wheels may be useful. The self propelling was just fine with me (regular variable speed). Front wheel drive will do just fine, the Personal Pace wasn't worth the extra money.

Now on to trimmers and blowers. But for that, I'll start another post tomorrow. Unless someone can point to a thread that has already been started.

NY

04-08-04, 07:25 AM   #5  
Trimmers & blowers

This isn't such an easy buy as your Toro. It all depends on how much you want to spend. However, for good all-around equipment, I recommend Echo brand. Again, look for a reputable dealer for these items. As far as specifics go on each, consider the following:
Trimmers - straight shaft housing is best, particularly with a solid (as opposed to a flexible) drive shaft. This will allow use of a steel blade (if desired). Be sure you buy a model with the rewind starter at the rear of the unit. This tells you it has a full crankshaft. This is not to say you shouldn't look at the curved shaft housing models, it just depends on the amount and type of work intended as well as the comfort of each particular to the user.
Blowers - Stick with a horizontal crankshaft engine with the rewind starter on the right side of the unit.
Find a dealer at www.echo-usa.com

04-11-04, 08:15 PM   #6  
So what did you end up getting?

Visiting Guest

04-12-04, 06:47 AM   #7  
deep6blue
I haven't bought a blower or trimmer yet. We were moving this weekend and haven't had time. It should be coming soon though!

I'm not sure if I am going to get a Homelight disposable trimmer or a good trimmer. I need to really look at how much use it will get, replacing one every few years or repairing every couple of years.

I think that I will get the gas style for both the trimmer and blower. I don't see the sense in dragging a 150ft cord around. That almost weighs more than the blower/trimmer.

OH

04-12-04, 08:30 AM   #8  
I bought the Toro trimmer "straight shaft" that you can change ends on like edger. I love it so far but it's kinda on the loud side compared to my old one.

04-12-04, 10:00 AM   #9  
If you want it quiter, see if you can find a pipe muffler that will fit your 2cycle trimmer.

OH

04-12-04, 11:47 AM   #10  
I wondered about that. Think I could get Flowmasters on there?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-04, 10:03 PM   #11  
Hehe...the mufflers on small 2 stroke equipment like trimmers are limited. They are designed specifically by model and brand, and pipe mufflers will not fit.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread